One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

Image result for images of sad

I felt compelled to attend an information meeting of the Bruce Oake Recovery Centre.  Compelled because it will be, not in my neighbourhood, but in my City Ward.  Compelled after reading Bruce's story and his family's wish to make this recovery centre his legacy.  Compelled because of the opposition to this centre.  I wanted my voice to be a positive one.

Since the land has already been rezoned, the BORC is going to happen and the meeting was to update the community on progress and get input on a few minor details.  

I didn't realize that it would be one of the saddest days I have experienced in Winnipeg.  

When I arrived, I experienced the "white people". They were people dressed in white who were there to oppose the Centre.  In order to get in to the community centre, I had to pass two "white people" who were at the door with placards in opposition.  It was intimidating.  They didn't deter anyone from entering but those signs didn't make anyone feel welcome.  I happened to be wearing a red shirt so they didn't speak to me at first and they only spoke to the many people who wearing white.  When I am filling out surveys, I check my age in the 45-54 box.  I appeared to be younger that any of the "white people".  

We were asked to sign in and give our email address for further updates and to fill out a survey.  The "white people" were not going to sign anything and one of them said that if you signed in, you would secretly be pledging $1000 to the Centre.  

The first hour was to look at the architectural designs and to indicate which of three seemed the most preferable.  The Centre looks beautiful and a state of the art facility.  Something that should bring nothing but pride to the city.  The questionnaire mainly focused on the fence surrounding the centre and how high it should be.  My feedback was that a fence was not needed.  Why make people who are trying to reclaim their lives feel like they are in a fenced colony, like, I don't know, a prison.  There are some beautiful trees that could be put there to provide a nature fence, if needed.  

The "white people", for the most part, didn't look at the drawings or the boards.  The "white people"| seemed to seek out anyone who was a member of the media to talk to.  I listened to a few of the interviews and had a hard time keeping a straight face.  Happily, for  most of the them, their interviews never went to air.  One woman said she lived three houses away from the centre and she had grandchildren visiting from time to time and she didn't want her grandchildren to interact with "those people."  She indicated that she had one grand-daughter who was 8 and one grand-daughter who was 10.  I couldn't help to think of the amazing job the school system is doing now with children.  They have adopted their curriculums to such things as conflict resolution, diversity, empathy, and others.  I'm sure this woman was not actually speaking on behalf of her grand-children and they likely would have more compassion.  

After looking at the crowd of "white people", quite frankly, I was worried about my 2 year old grandson when he visits.  I don't think I want him interacting with those "white people".  

The white people wanted the facility to be built in an industrial area and no where near a residential area.  Yes, that is the answer.  Put people who are motivated to recover away from all people.  That will really give them hope and confidence in their re-integration back into sobriety.  

There was a beautiful family wearing black t-shirt and carrying a giant collage of pictures.  It turned out the pictures were an homage to their young son and brother who had died by suicide 10 days earlier.  He suffered from addiction and wanted help but there was no where available for him to go.  Despite them wearing black t-shirts, they had a positive aura around them.  Truly beautiful people who just loved their son and brother.  It was hard to know where there grace came from.  Their pain had to be raw after only 10 days, yet, there they were, full of grace.  

The very presence of this family, 10 people, seemed to anger the "white people".  There were about 100 "white people" who felt this family was distracted their message.  There ended up being a verbal confrontation between the father and the "white people".  I started writing things down that I heard.  One "white" woman said "who cares about your son?"  I don't think the father heard this.  Another "white" woman said, "what kind of father are you that you didn't get help for your son and let him get so bad?"  The father answered with grace and kind compassion.  I wanted to punch the "white" woman in the nose.  

One "white" lady in a scooter said she would have to leave because she her heart was racing from this controversy.  She kept saying that to her fellow "white people" but it took her another 20 minutes to leave.  

The two "white people" who had been waving placards decided to leave saying they didn't expect to be attacked and the meeting was a waste of time.  Deep breathe.  

One "white" woman felt this was discriminatory because now she would have to drive farther to take her grand-children skating.  Well, the ice rink tha was previously there is now rotting after being closed for years.  I guess, living across the street, you wouldn't have noticed.  So, you have a rotting building but you are not worried about your property values and instead you are worried when adding a state of art facilitiy.  

Apparently, the "white people" have hired a lawyer to try and stop construction.   What a poor use of funds.  They also have asked Steven Fletcher to be their spokesperson.  Because Steven Fletcher is known for his compassion and tolerance and getting along with people.  

I didn't see any of the candidates who were running in my Ward for City Council.  If they were there, I didn't see them.  I do know that one of them is a "white person."  

The "white people" also had the audacity to complain that they couldn't even be offered a coffee for attending.  All the "white poeple" left in the first hour.   

They didn't get to see the presentation of the architects and the foundation people about the plans.  And, they didn't get the coffee and donuts that were provided to those who stayed.

Comments

  1. The attitude of these Winnipegers sickens me. Something similair happened a few years back when a group home was bought in East St. Paul for 4 mentally challenged people. Protests, and meetings took place. Winnipeg likes to pride itself in being a diverse and tolerant city but there is a large element that is ignorant, racist and extremely intolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only way to reverse the scourge of Meth and Opiods is to have treatment facilities. Without those centres the problem worsens. With treatment, people can put their addictions truly and properly behind them. Part of healing, as we know from Wilderness Programs for Youth, is in the interaction with our environment. People need to feel as if they belong in this world, and not as if they belong in the fringes of society...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your voice. I hope it is the voice of the majority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right and I will bet a dime to a dollar there are those among the "white" people or their families who will need treatment, now or in the future. Recovering addicts are an asset to the community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reading. You are right. They are likely already living next to addicts and just don't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in St James and am so so so FOR this centre. I wish that I had attended this meeting. There should be large treatment centres near every hospital. Period. There is a drug crisis in our country, Winnipeg has so far seen very little of it, but it's here. A few months, maybe a year, and we'll be fighting full force. Just like BC, Alberta, Toronto. We need treatment centres in place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comment ad for your read ! It seems the majority of Winnipeg is in favour of the BORC at that site based on feedback I have gotten publicly and privately, Over 21500 views. Double what each of the incumbents received in votes in last civic election. Just saying......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Winnipeg NEEDS a facility like this. I tried so hard to get help for my son. Emergency room visits, doctor appointments weekly. We ended up at the Codi program after about 9 months of running in circles and feeling helpless. Watching my son go further down a path no one ever wants to watch their children go. Never in a million years did i ever think my son would get mixed up in that shit. But when its at every street corner, party, park and school with a majority of kids doing it, yes mine got pulled in. Thankfully my son was given an option to help the addiction (CBD) and he has been clean ever since. Had a facility been available like that I would have felt there was somewhere to turn too. I read that familys article and my heart went out to them immediately. Cause i went through it and get there is nothing out there for that kind of help.
    I am in hopes the facility will continue cause if this happened to me it can happen to anyone. Uneducated people annoy me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site