Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site











I decided to go for a walk today.  It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  My quest was to understand the home owner's opposition to having the closed arena site being converted to a much needed addiction treatment facility. 

I took some pictures on my phone and want to explain what I found out. 

The first picture was taken while I was standing on the immense green space at the back of the old Vimy Arena.  You can see in the background what is the closest residential development.  It is a town house complex.  In order for someone who was participating in treatment at BORC to interact with someone living in the complex, they would have to walk and then cross a creek, and then get through the trees.  I would think the residents living in that complex would be more worried about the drainage pipe that leads on the creek.  I would be concerned about a wandering child being trapped in there. 

The second picture is just a shot of all the green space along the walking trail of Sturgeon Creek Greenway.  It is a beautiful walkway and you hardly feel like you are in the city.  So much green space.  A little bit off the trail is a playground where I take my grandson when he is visiting.  Only one time was there another family with children using this space, but, typically we get the playground to ourselves. 

The third picture is the front view of the old Vimy Arena from the nearest house.  Although I couldn't get too close to the house as it was protected by a chain link fence and a barking dog.  To get from the front door of the arena to the closest house, you had to cross a parking lot, go down a small ravine, and jay walk through the divided Hamilton Avenue.  I counted the steps.  I confess that there was so much on the walk to notice that I forgot if it was 123 steps or 173 steps. 

The next picture is a selfie of me in front of the closed arena.  I wore a black tank shirt so that no one would mistake me for a "white person."

A close shot of the front door of the building which seriously has past its "best before" date.  The arena was built 1972 and closed in 2013.  I looked in the windows and was very depressed seeing that it still has some garbage that might have been there for 5 years.  It is just sad to see such beautiful spot not used or appreciated.  There was a bench at the back of the property and I met the nicest man and his dog.  He said he just loves to come to this spot and think.  It is so tranquil.  It is so quiet you almost want to whisper.  He said he lived in the area and despite having found his own little corner of serenity, he would be happy to give it up or share with people recovering from addiction.  He noted that anyone entering treatment would be highly motivated for help.  He couldn't understand the opposition because he felt if it even just turned one life around, it would be worth it. 

Just a shot of the walkway which is about twice as wide as the walkways that adorn Assiniboine Park. Can accommodate many pedestrians, cyclists, strollers, joggers, etc.  It seemed this walkway was designed to be used and to be as inclusive as possible.  Sad to think that some people living in the area don't get the irony of their opposition to the proposed centre. 

I saw one the "white people" in her backyard checking out what I was doing.  I recognized her from the community meeting saying she lived across the street.  I stood on the side walk in front of her property.  If you closely over my left shoulder, about my eye level, you see a little speck of brown, that is a piece of the exterior wall of the old arena.  I think they could have a rave there and she would never hear or see any of it.  You will also note an increased number of grey hairs that have accumulated on my head since attending the community meeting. 

This is a shot from the pathway designed to show all of the beautiful trees that form a natural fence. 

If you look closely across the creek, you can see a beaver dam.  It appears that the beavers are the closest residents to the proposed addiction treatment facility.  To me, the beavers would be the only credible opposition.  And what I know of critters, they are fine with anything as long as it doesn't impact their ecosystem. 

The last two pictures are just shots along the path.  I don't think lack of green space is a credible argument for anyone living in the area. 

I can't imagine a more perfect spot for a holistic treatment facility. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2