Wake up - only 64 days to Civic Election


The last civic election was held in 2014.  I took notice of the Mayoral race.  How could you not?  There were two clear front-runners who got a lot of attention from the media.  There was a definite contrast in their platforms.  It felt like a referendum on the future direction of the city.  I really agonized over my choice.  In the end, neither front-runner won.  I see the Mayor's job as Chief Cheerleader for the City.  I think he has done a good job.

I wish I had a clearer idea of what City Councillors do.  Many of them have been in the news over the last four years for the wrong reasons.  Either we don't exercise good judgement in voting or once City Councillors are elected, they feel a sense of omnipotence and normal rules of good character don't apply to them.  I have a dear friend who is running for City Council.  I am confident that he will be elected in 64 days.  He has excellent character so I will be answer the question if Council changes you.

In my Ward, there are three candidates.  Due to boundary restructuring, I have two incumbents seeking re-election.  One of these incumbents should withdraw his name.  He has no social media presence.  He is not even trying.  We don't need anyone that unmotivated on Council.  Plus, he has had strong opposition to the Vimy Arena being repurposed to build the Bruce Oake Recovery Centre.  I don't care what else he thinks about.  I don't want anyone representing my interests who is that regressive.

The other incumbent has sent around a slick flyer in the mail.  I was turned off before I even read it.  It was the glossiest of glosses.  I don't think the flyer could have been less environmentally friendly. I have a hard time supporting anyone who does not pay any attention to the environmental footprint he is leaving behind for the next generation.  But, after getting over that, I read the flyer before discarding it to sit in a landfill for generations.  I was somewhat impressed with the content.  He appears to have done a lot in four years and has displayed some good common sense.  Being a responsible voter, I have followed him on social media.  I am less impressed every day.  No real content on his web site other than telling us what he has done rather than what he will do.  Yawn.  He is talking credit for a lot of money spent on road repair, specifically one major artery.  To quote Shania, "that don't impress me much".  The one major artery that he refers to has been repaired every single year for as long as I remember and it still is a horrible road.  Winnipeg roads are horrible and the same roads shouldn't have to be fixed every year.  Why can't we just get it right in the first place?  Someone has told me that when we make roads, we use a different formula or material than a similar climate such as Edmonton.  I admit I don't know anything about it, but I do find it annoying that it takes me longer to get somewhere in summer due to construction than it takes me during a blizzard.  If he wants my vote, he is going to have to show leadership on some issue and explain what he is going to do in the future.  The past is in the past and we don't need to keep borrowing from the past.

The third candidate is a young guy who appears enthusiastic and is trying to get up to speed on a number of issues.  I will follow his social media before I make further judgment and I hope he knocks on my door because I have some questions for him.

Regardless, we are blessed to live in a democracy where we have the ability to vote.  We should never take that for granted regardless of the election.  We are in the middle of a Civic election campaign.  We need to walk up and pay attention.

Comments

  1. The 2nd candidate is also in strong favor of BORC, and has been supportive all through the process. FYI

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site