Are We Doing Enough?

It is hard to see what is going on in this picture.  That is on purpose.  I am trying to protect the privacy of the person sleeping on the bench in the background.  Also, I am not going to reveal the location as it is one of the treasures we have discovered in St. James. Despite the paved walking path, it is a very secluded location that we didn't know existed.  We have tried to go on walking adventures whenever we can and we deliberately are taking the road less traveled to see where it leads us.

We found this gentleman pretending to sleep on this lonely bench in the middle of the day with his bags safely stowed until the bench.  He confirmed that he currently didn't have a fixed address.  I offered to drive him to a shelter but he preferred to be in a solitary environment.  He has anxiety and doesn't like crowds or communal living.  I told him I had a friend who was very active in helping people without an address and I could take him there and introduce them.  I vouched for my friend that he would truly meet him at his reality.  No, he felt fortunate to find his bench and wasn't eager to leave it. What could I get him?  A pillow?  An air mattress?  Actually, he wanted fewer things rather than more.  Can I atleast bring him a meal?  That would be great.  Tell me what you would like.  I am trying to give people what they want as opposed to what I think they want.  He thought and said what he really really would like is a pork chop dinner.

A pork chop dinner.  Deep sigh.  I was hoping he was going to want a Big Mac.  Where was I going to find a pork chop dinner?  I did a few inquiries and then had to face the facts.  I was going to have to shop and cook.  In the end, I delivered two pork chops, mashed potatoes, asparagus, tossed salad, apple sauce, store bought pie with whipped cream. When I returned a long time later, my friend was still there and very surprised that I came through.  Actually, I don't know who was more shocked that I had followed through.  He was very grateful but also told me he was going to move on to a different location tomorrow so I shouldn't come back.  I don't know if that was true or not, but I was going to respect his request that I not come back. 

Some days, I am driving downtown at 7 am.  I usually see more than one person exiting from an ATM where it looks like they spent the night. 

Are we doing enough?  I know there are many among us who are doing more than their part.  But, if the pandemic has taught us anything, it is that we all need to do our part. Some of us are not.  But, if we are really committed to flattening the curve, it is in all of our best interests to help others. 

I have driven by the tent city next to MMF headquarters.  I have to tell you, it pales in comparison to some tent cities that I have seen in other cities.  I have been told that it will be dismantled. 

It will be dismantled because others think that they know best for those occupying the space.  They will be hooked up with resources to help them.  Hopefully it will be resources that they want and not that are chosen for them. 

Whatever happens, it doesn't mean the problem with residential insecurity will end. 

If we truly mean that we are all in this together, we need those who have not lifted a finger to help to do so.  We know that we can come together and have conversations in real time.  We all need to do our part. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site