Today's Road Less Traveled



Not ready to go back to the gym yet, so I am enjoying 10km walks throughout the city trying to find the road less traveled and places I have never seen.  I am finding I am exercising my mind and soul, as well as my fat little legs.  

Today, I happened to notice several examples of clover replacing grass on boulevards and other small places.  I never had given it much thought until I saw Coun. Allard talk about this and bringing it forward to City Council.  It is brilliant.  It is very lush, doesn't grow high, and better for the environment because of less maintenance. 

And, somewhere along the way, I see this man approaching me. He looks to be atleast 70.  But, instead of moving to one side of the trail or another, he seems to be heading right for me.  I wonder if he is confused or needs assistance.  I stop about 3 meters away from him and extend my arm in a stopping gesture.  He says to me, "you look like you are down on your luck, I can offer you something to eat, a hot shower, and a warm bed for the night." 

I am both repulsed and inquisitive.  How often does he do this?  Is this a regular spot for those down on their luck for this troll to troll? Does this type of thing happen often in our city? Is it possible that this is just a nice guy wanting to go help, or is it what I think it is?  

Frankly, I want to go with him and see what happens.  I am pretty sure I could take him if need be.  But, I am trying to do less stupid things that might end up in potential trouble.  That is not fair to our police system.  They don't need the likes of me calling them for assistance just because I have an inquiring mind. 

When I get home, I hear this is a protest at the tent city by the Disraeli bridge.  They are protesting having their camp removed.  If I did not have a fixed address, I think I would like to be with other people, to be part of a community for safety.  I think that is why these tent cities emerge.  Socially, people want to be with others, and for safety sake, there is safety in numbers, and also, in numbers, there is likely a number of people with cell phones that can provide witness.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site