Black Face Emerges......

Like most Winnipeggers, I was amazed at the power of the people at the Justice4BlackPeople rally.  It was simply overwhelming. 

For some reason, I was thinking a lot about what would have happened if the Blackface Trudeau pictures had emerged during the last week and what effect that would have on Canada.  Media across the world are sharing the image of Trudeau kneeling at a rally in Ottawa.

I am doubtful it would have made a difference in the election.  Andrew Scheer was/is just not leadership material.  Don't forget he beat out Maxime Bernier in the Conservative leadership race. The man that we know is racist.  Regardless, the blackface scandal hasn't stuck on Trudeau, but I think it effected other races.  I remember when Trudeau issued his apology in Winnipeg.  I remember his fellow Liberal MPs and candidates stood behind.  I remember Robert-Falcon Oulette and Doug Eyolfson standing next to each other.  Oulette was wearing a beaded W representing Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Eyolfson was wearing a brown sports jacket.  I remember focusing my ears on what Trudeau was saying but focusing my eyes on both of them. Anyway, I'am sure the scandal had nothing to do with not being re-elected.  Still, they were both such fine candidates.

Regardless, I was thinking a lot about it this weekend. 

Today, a U of M instructor has been forced to resign from his post because pictures of him in blackface pictures of him emerged.  They were apparently paintings of him putting on blackface.  Artists definitely has a wider range of what is considered artistic licence, however, blackface is just inappropriate under any circumstances.  The instructor did what was right.  He shouldn't be molding the minds of our next generation. 

Still, how was Trudeau able to emerge unscathed? 

Also, in the news today, a small local restaurant is in some twitter trouble about some comments that others have perceived as racist. They tried to clarify the comments which only made the situation worse.  Here is a tip.  If you have to defend why you are not a racist, chances are you are a racist. 

So many steps forward.  So many more steps needed. 

The world is having wonderful conversations.  For a conversation to be effective, people must listen.  If you are looking for more information, check out the 13th on Netflix.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site