New Brunswick? What is really happening?

We don't know the whole story but the NDP and Green Party are having a little war about possible fake news.  Green Party made an announcement that 14 former NDP candidates have switched allegiance to the Green Party and will be running in the federal election.  It appears that one NDP executive has been recruited by the Green Party.  It is also true that the NDP have not yet nominated a candidate in New Brunswick.  It is the usual dueling perspectives that happens in election campaigns.  However, it doesn't usually happen between the NDP and the Green.  What is most troubling is a footnote that keeps being attached to this story.  It suggests that New Brunswick voters may have trouble voting for a party whose leader is from a different culture.  I don't know what is more disturbing.  The fact that this is a sentiment that exists in Canada or that people are saying it to the media. 

I should be shocked about this, but, unfortunately, I am not.  I am a grandmother but I am not ancient.  As a student leader a few decades ago, I visited Dalhousie and stayed in Halifax for almost a week.  As a rebellious young adult in the midst of other rebellious young adults, you tend to want to experience the seedier side of local culture.  That usually involved the use of alcohol and other substances.  During my cultural tour, I saw two signs up in local drinking establishments.  Blacks Not Welcome.  I hadn't heard of Viola Desmond at the time, but, this was the land of Viola Desmond. 

I understand that Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are different entities, but both are still integral parts of Canada.  Also, it is 2019.  We need to be beyond concerned about a difference in "culture".  Shouldn't the qualities of leadership, integrity, vision be what we should be talking about?  I don't even want to suggest what a difference in culture is actually code for. 

Living in a world with that has judged people simply by the basis of one aspect of how they were born hasn't worked that well.  Let's trying living in a world where differences are celebrated rather than something we are concerned about. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site