Reasons Willy Dogs is Important To Me

Out of the blue today, someone told me that I was important to them.  As it happened, I was having a blue day.  It gave me such a lift.  I decided I wanted to pay it forward.  I want to tell Willy Gault of the famous Willy Dogs why he is important to me.  I also think it is important to disclose that I don't actually know the man, I follow him on facebook.  But, not in a creepy way, but, just because Willy Dogs represents so much of what I chose to see in my vision of Winnipeg.  Here are the things that Willy Dogs represents for me.

1.  There is Always Hope.

I don't know much about Willy's story, other than he is in recovery from an addiction.  Addiction is difficult and sometimes the road to recovery can be even more difficult.  It is nice to have a public example of someone who is in recovery.  Whenever I am feeling heavy with the weight of my life, I think of those I know who are in recovery.  I know there is always hope and I decide to keep moving forward.

2.  When Someone Wins, We All Win.  

Even though we are living in the midst of a global pandemic, we are also living in a methamphetamine crisis.  Apparently, it hasn't gotten any better.  Forget meth, just look at our alcohol consumption during the first month of the stay-at-home order.  Addiction is a problem, but, what has always perplexed me is that some people don't understand that recovery benefits all of us. It benefits us all in many ways, not the least of which is economic. We may spend a few thousand dollars on someone's recovery, but we are potentially saving tens of thousands of dollars to the health care system, the justice system (police, courts, prisons), social services, etc, etc.  In the same way, depression hurts, addiction costs.  But, let's look what Willy Dogs represents for us.  Instead of costing the system, he is contributing to it.  He has a small business, has bought a house, and has two daughters that undoubtedly grow up to be compassionate young women.  We all are benefiting from his recovery.  In a very real way, he is helping to grow a better Winnipeg.

3.  There is Always a Way

I have the good fortune to know some younger people who are trying to find their way.  What I mean is that they are trying to figure out how to make a living.  Look at Willy.  He found a way to be his own boss and run his own business. Even though, he picked a business that was seasonal, he found a way to have an off-season way to run his business inside a curling rink. Genius. Innovative.  Hard-working.  When the pandemic closed his winter gig, he started selling his BBQ sauce.  No one ever said it was going to be easy, but, there is a always a way, even when we have to look really hard.

4.  Be Grateful

If you read Willy's posts, he speaks of gratitude often.  He is grateful for his repeat customers, for example.  He is so grateful that he seems oblivious to the fact that he has repeat customers because he is offering a great value and he is a great guy.  He is humble and grounded.  Every time, he posts about being grateful, it inspires me to start counting my blessings rather than letting my brain focus on perceived slights against me.

5.  People are Good

Does the world seem more politically polarized than before to you?  It sure does to me.  We used to believe that people who devoted their lives to public service, regardless of political affiliation, deserved our respect and were legitimately trying to make things better for their constituents.  It seems we don't start from a place of mutual respect anymore.  We have adopted a "you are either with us or against us" mentality and we focus on what divides than what we share.  I admit that I have fallen down that rabbit hole more than I would like.  Interestingly, Willy Dogs has helped me to face this in myself and to try and work on it.  He often speaks positively about a woman named Marni Larkin who has contributed positively to some of his bookings.  Larkin is a Conservative strategist.  Well, I met her a long time when I was volunteering on a campaign she was running.  She is a really good person.  Thanks to Willy Dogs, I am reminded there are good people on all sides of the political spectrum.  Seriously, that has helped me feel more positive towards everyone.

6.  Don't be Afraid of Your Dreams (Do not read if you are don't like major corniness.)

I can't explain it but I have always been afraid of my dreams coming true.  I think it is because I am afraid things won't live up to the hype I have created in my mind. It is for that reason that I have to unwrap all of my Christmas presents prior to Christmas and then wrap them up again to be opened on Christmas.  I need time to prepare my reaction.  It is weird but I am just afraid of getting what I want. 

I have zero vested interest in the Bruce Oake Recovery Centre, but it a dream of mine.  Can't explain it.  It is just a good thing and I want it operating.  But, I was afraid of going to the ground-breaking ceremony.  I was just scared that it wasn't going to live up to the hype that I had created in my mind.  My partner had to use every below the belt emotional blackmail trick that he had to get me to go.  Willy Dogs played a big part in the ceremony as the official caterer so I just think that Willy Dogs is part of BORC.  It turned out the ceremony was beautiful in every moment, even in the sad moments.  The Bruce Oake Recovery Centre was a dream of his family and all they had to do to make it happen was raise $18 M.  Their dream is happening.  It sounds corny, but, it has inspired me to not be afraid of my own dreams. After all, what is the worst that can happen?  They come true. 

7.  Give Back

Have you ever noticed that people who achieve monetary success only achieve success in all aspects of their life when they give back?  Seriously, think of the people who know you have achieved happiness.  They all give back.  People who just accumulate money and don't use it to help others don't seem to accumulate much joy.  Have you also noticed that Willy Dogs and St. James Burger and Chip Co support Siloam Mission with friendly Cook Offs  Nuff Said. 

8.  Focus on the 90%

One of my favorite authors says that are days are 90% positive and 10% negative.  But, if we focus on the 10%, it will feel like 90%.  If you haven't noticed, as we are coming to terms with the new "normal" of how we conduct our lives, we see a lot of examples of people focusing on the 10%.  I see a lot of business people struggling with navigating the frequent touch items and complaining of the impact to their bottom line. 

I asked Willy yesterday how his business was affected by Covid19 precautions.  "Not at all," he asserted.  "I am lucky to have the business I do."  I had to test this optimism.  "What about frequent touch items?  What about extra sanitizing and the cost of such. What about having to put condiments on for your customers?"  Oh that.  Well, that is no big deal.  The time I spend putting on the fixins is more time that I get to know my customers, and for big events, I have to ask my wife and family for help so that means I get to spend more time with them.  It is all good. 

That is focusing on the 90%. Having your wife come and help is wonderful but it also means that you must make alternate child care arrangements, which is a big deal.  And, here is a news flash.  The public isn't always to deal with.  I want just a hot pepper on half of my dog, and I want just a splash of bbq sauce but I want you to make sure it doesn't touch my piece of cheese, and I want so many crispy onions that I won't be able to close the bun.  And, that is just my husband. 

9.  Hot Dogs Are Da Bomb

Growing up, my favorite lunch was Kraft dinner.  My favorite gourmet lunch was Kraft dinner with hot dogs cut up in it.  And, in 2020, hot dogs are even better.  So many options and flavours. 

Yet, for some reason, my husband was a hot dog denier.  He didn't believe in them.  I didn't impose my positive feelings about hot dogs on him, but, yet for some reason he felt that he could impose his negative feelings about hot dogs on me at the moment when I would be eating a hot dog.  Finally, I made him have a Willy Dog.  He liked it.  (Duh!).  So, now, I no longer enjoy eating a hot dog alone, we enjoy eating hot dogs together!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site