Unleashing My Political Kraken (Municipal Level)

When I was a child, politics and current events were discussed at the dinner table.  Before I knew how to read, my parents would talk about history and the impact on current events.  My part was to have curiosity and ask questions leading to more questions.  Once I was able to read, I was expected to be an active participant.  We had very spirited discussions.  I have tried starting these discussions with my grandson.  He hasn't been ready and has told me in his own way. 

When the pandemic entered our lives and resulted in stay-at-home orders, I knew we were living in an unprecedented time.  I made a personal decision on March 13 that I would support all political leaders regardless of their ideological leanings.  I really felt that was my contribution as a citizen; trust our political leaders and to follow their recommendations fully. 

Well, we were all now is some sort of stage of re-opening, so I am re-opening my political critique.  However, since I am still social distancing, I have to use my blog as my medium for my messages. 

Let's start at the local level.  First of all, I am relatively impressed with most of City of Winnipeg Councillors. I follow most of them on social media.  They may have been working from home, but they were still working.  They found creative ways to keep in touch with their electorate.  They were doing what they could to fulfill their responsibilities.  They were making it work.  Well done.  I have only been disappointed with one City Councillor.  I am not going to name her because I still haven't figured out her deal.  I sense she can't decide whether she wants to be Mary Poppins or whether she wants to be Mayor Bowman's muppet.  Either way, she seems silent while the character of a neighbourhood that she represents is being destroyed in real time. 

I remain very disappointed in Mayor Bowman.  Now, that is nothing new.  I have consistently been disappointed with him since re-election.  First of all, there seems to be something within him that is deeply triggered by the Union representing our transit workers.  It just seems that anything related to transit, he approaches from a bad space.  Whatever the reason, when it comes to the ATU, it is a "frustrated relationship."  I think when it comes to anything transit, he needs to sit it out.  Give that responsibility to another elected official.  Also, it is just curious to me that I see other corporations, businesses, etc, treating their essential workers like gold yet haven't really seen the Mayor leading by example in that regard.  Case in point, the transit operator who held badge #1 retired.  This man worked for over 40 years as a bus driver.  Apparently, he is quite a character.  He is on my list of people to interview for my blog because I am so curious about the changes during his career and I can just imagine the stories he can tell.  How do I know  about this man?  Well, it hasn't been from the City of Winnipeg.  If anything, I think this guy should be all over the City's social media and to be celebrated profusely.  Honestly, I don't take the bus often, but, when I do, I come away with the realization that I couldn't drive the bus for one day.  This guy did it for 40+ years.  He held badge #1.  I can't believe I had to hear about him from his son's social media. For shame.  Further to transit, it was always an essential service yet their Union kept high-lighting that the City was not providing them PPE or other basic measures to keep them safe.  I think this must be true because I didn't hear any countering by the City.  Anyway, so all non-essential businesses were closed, massive unemployment; post-secondary education moved to online learning, a stay-at-home order was issued and six weeks into this, Mayor Bowman had a press conference where he said with a straight-face that no one could have anticipated that revenue from Transit would have dropped.  He then laid off a bunch of staff. 

For me, that was a defining moment about Mayor Bowman.  He said, again, with a straight face, that no one could have anticipated that transit revenue had dropped.  He also was concerned with the amount of people using the bus but not paying.  Again.  Food banks were reporting unprecedented levels of food insecurity; the provincial government had to take action to prevent evictions because people couldn't pay their rent; and he was worried about $3 here and there.  Again, I am not advocating that people ride for free, but, I also choose to believe that when it happens, the person riding really does not have the money.  Regardless, he said, with a straight face, that no one could have anticipated that transit revenue had dropped. Well, a four year could have anticipated that.  I am concluding that Mayor Bowman must think that we are stupid and he must explain the facts of life to us.  I hope he finds out how stupid we are at next election. 

I am also disappointed that during a time we must rise upon personal pettiness, he seems to have the same relationship with Coun. Klein as he does with the ATU. 

I am very disappointed that during a time of racial tensions and people having legitimate concerns about police operations, that he chose to take the time to dismantle a tent city.  Wasting time and only dispersing it.  I want you to know that I have a proposal for a sanctioned tent city in Winnipeg.  I will be sharing that soon. 

However, disappointment doesn't begin to describe how I feel about one of his first press conferences during the pandemic.  It was the day after Trump questioned whether ingesting bleach might be a good thing.  Bowman had a press conference telling people not to ingest bleach or use other inhalents.  Don't get me wrong, I do know that some people drink bottles of vanilla, and use inhalents such as lysol, sniff gas/glue and other things.  However, I also know that people who do this are not likely to be following the Mayor's press conferences.  I also know that people who do this are largely the marginalized of our society.  I don't think that Mayor Bowman has much credibility in speaking to the marginalized.  I also know that people of colour have a higher representation in our marginalized population.  I really wonder if his comments reflecting an unconscious bias and was a dog whistle to this?  I guess it can't be since he identifies as Metis, not very often mind you, but he does identify as Metis. 

I can't help but think how different our City would be if the campaign in 2014 was just another week longer.  I am quite convinced that our Mayor would be Robert-Falcon Oulette. 

If I seem unfairly critical of the Mayor, I would also like to point out, that I have emailed him and tweeted him many times asking him to be interviewed on my blog to provide his perspective.  An offer still open.  A socially distanced interview, of course.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site