Unleashing My Politcal Kraken (Provincial Level)

I decided on March 13, 2020 that we were going to be living in an unprecedented time, so I resolved I was just going to respect my political leaders and follow what ever direction they led.  But, we are now re-opening, so I feel that I can unleash my commentary again. 

My provincial political beliefs are strongly influenced by growing up in Dauphin.  We very much were aware of "Perimeter Vision".  That is that people from Winnipeg don't care too much about what happens outside the perimeter.  With the emergence of bedroom communities, perimeter vision is much in the past.  Now, we find that the political power brokers care very much what happens an hour past the perimeter in any direction.  Dauphin is still left out. 

I only bring this up because this is a concept that MLA Brad Michaleski doesn't seem to understand which will end his political career.  Don't get me wrong, I like the guy personally.  However, he will be part of Cabinet, so it was quite surprising he didn't even give lip service to saving the Dauphin Jail.  The reality is, that the jail was going to close, but his response that he was "ok with it" at a public meeting was a slap in the face to the people trying to save the jail.  They really thought it was about more than the jail, it was about saving the community.  Pallister is very politically astute and he would have understood, and probably respected him, if Brad came to him and said, "look privately, I understand why the jail needs to be closed publicly I have to represent my constituents and fight against this."  Regardless, while the Province was in a state of emergency, the Dauphin Jail quietly closed.  This was the same community that brings the Province CountryFest and Canada's National Ukrainian Festival.  This was the community that felt that they didn't have a good steak restaurant.  They didn't look to the government for a grant or a hand-out.  Citizens got together and invested to open their own restaurant.  I am sure the current Mayor is doing a great job, but there will never be a Mayor like Eric Irwin.  I can't help wonder if the outcome would be different if he was still Mayor.  I hope that Dauphinites have agitated enough that they will be rewarded in the future by the creation of many new jobs. 

For the most part, I have been impressed by Premier Pallister.  He has listened to the public health officials.  He has led with compassion and humility.  I won't forget the moment that he got emotional urging us to check in with our friends who may be living with mental illness and are isolating.  He says stupid things, but, that is Pallister.  He also takes responsibility for the stupid things he says and learns from them.

So, I have been impressed with Pallister up until he gave $2.5 M in an effort to become the CFL hub.  Even my most dyed-in-the-wool Bomber fan doesn't think this is a good idea.  I don't it is safe to have the CFL to play this year and should take the year off.  $2.5M may not sound like a lot of money, but, I think a lot of unemployed Manitobans who could use some help and that $2.5M could have gone a long way. 

My MLA has been completely silent and irrelevant but that hasn't be due to the pandemic.  He is always silent and irrelevant. 

Opposition has a very important role in our political system and is necessary to provide checks and balances.

The state of emergency came at bad timing for the NDP as they were in the middle of using the legislature against the government and this took them a week or so to get over.  Once they did, they understood that we were living in an unprecedented time and politics as usual could not continue.  Wab Kinew seemed to see his role, appropriately, as pointing out groups that might be falling through the cracks.  I've been impressed. 

Now, the Liberals continued politics as usual, fighting every initiative.  Again, we are living through an unprecedented pandemic.  Everyone, including politicians, must be focused on the ties that bind us together rather than trying to tear us apart. 

Stay safe everyone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site