Unleashing My Political Kraken (Federal Level)


When the State-of-Emergency was declared, I decided to put aside my own opinions and just let our leaders lead and I would follow.  Actually, I tweeted both the Prime Minister and my Premier every day thanking them for all of their efforts.  Now, in this state of re-opening, we seem to be getting back to our new normal, so I can have political opinions again.  

First of all, Andrew Scheer.  What is that anyway?  As far as I am concerned, Justin Trudeau needs to send this man an edible arrangement every month for the rest of his life.  Justin owes his re-election to Andrew Scheer.  With all that happened prior to the last election, the Andrew Scheer factor was the only thing that could have the Liberals re-elected.  But, I am just going to concentrate on what has happened since March.   

Everything that Andrew Scheer has said during this pandemic has said has been, well, stupid.  The role of opposition is our government is necessary, however, if ever the country needed to be united, it was now.  I particularly was disgusted by him taking pleasure in Canada not receiving a seat on the UN Security Council.  I think Canadians should be united in that our voice is important is in the world and we need more influence in the world and not less.  Celebrating this loss to Canada was just tasteless.  Mind you, what do you expect from a man who just narrowly defeated Maxime Bernier in the Conservative leadership race. His need to travel, claiming to be essential in Parliament, was ridiculous and to travel with his entourage (his family) was reckless and putting people at risk (his family).  From the moment, he stepped down as leader, the Conservatives should have immediately appointed an interim leader.  He has done irreparable damage to his party, and as Dick Clark, the hits just keep on coming.  

Unfortunately, the future doesn't look any brighter for the Conservatives.  Although there is 4 candidates wanting to be leader, it really is a race between two.  Peter McKay will likely win.  He has had success in the past as a capable politician but for old people like me, he is most remembered for being dumped by Belinda Stronach and being heartbroken and alone with his only friend, his dog.  He is going to have challenges because politics has changed a great deal since then.  Also, his heart really isn't into it.  It is not so much that he is running, as he was drafted.  The other "contender" is the stunt double for Andrew Scheer, complete with his self-righteous extreme views.  

Now, the Prime Minister.  I have to tell you I was a faithful viewer of his daily news briefings.  I have to admit at the beginning, he was displaying remarkable leadership.  This is a little hard to admit because I am still annoyed at him essentially letting two of the most capable women in our country leave his cabinet.  That should have never happened.  I am still angry at him for blackface.  But, I put those feelings aside.  I did notice that after one week of his daily news briefings, that his tone seemed to change.  He seemed to be aware that his popularity was increasing so he was taking advantage of this.  He started being more prescriptive rather than instructive.  I had my first disagreement with him following the Nova Scotia tragedy.  Before we really knew what had happened, he instructed the press not to publish the shooter's name or picture.  I understand the sentiment behind this.  It was focus on the victims, however, in this case, I think this guy's picture and story needed to be shared.  He was an attractive professional.  I think people needed to know that anyone can be a predator or become violent.  I think it was an important lesson.  Being an attractive professional does not preclude you from being violent.  And, more importantly, while I appreciate his sentiment, no one should "instruct" the press in what they can and can not cover.  A free press is an important aspect to our democracy.  Then, the WE Charity ethics violation.  Deep sigh.  It wasn't so much the violation, it was a symptom that Trudeau really things he is omnipotent and can do whatever he wants.  For a reminder, the Prime Minister is not our boss; we are his boss. We can't let our elected leaders forget that.  

Finally, Jagmeet Singh.  He became a little emotional over an incident of racism.  I understand, however, I really think for our country to eliminate racial inequality, you have to let white people handle this for you.  It is important for us to step up and we see something wrong, we need to say something.  White privilege will never end unless white people admit it exists and holds each other accountable.  

Peace out.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site