Manitoba Marathon Man

Dreams never die just the dreamer.  So many leave the world with their dreams unfulfilled.  I imagine those who have fulfilled their dreams remind themselves of those 5 things many times.  Today is Manitoba Marathon day and I am reminded that my long ago dream of running the marathon remains a dream.  Not only a dream but something I haven't pursued.  I ran the half marathon when I was 25 and wanted to run the 26.2 miles of the marathon when I was 26.  It didn't happen.  Not even close, now, I am in no position physically to even have that dream. 

And, then I remember my brother-in-law.  We have many things in common but when we were in our early twenties, he was also a runner.  Only he fulfilled his dream.  He ran the Manitoba Marathon when he was about 22.  Then, he became a father and his life was focused on his children and his career.  He stopped running. 

Then, he retired and his children gave him and my sister a trip to Hawaii for his present.  Going to Hawaii had long been on their bucket list.  He retired in June and the trip was in November.  They started to research what was going on in Honolulu while they were going to be there.  There was a marathon.  My brother-in-law thought that if he started then, he might have trained enough to run a marathon.  He had a dream.  Four decades later, he was chasing the same dream.  My brother-in-law has tremendous self-discipline and a strong work ethic.  He not only completed the marathon but he qualified for the Boston marathon for his age group.  Pretty impressive. 

He continued his training.  He ran in the Boston Marathon.  He ran in other marathons, including the Manitoba Marathon where he kept qualifying to run in Boston.  He only ran it once but had impressive stats in other marathons. 

So, I didn't run the Marathon today.  I likely won't be able to run it next year, but perhaps the year after that.  Why not?  If my brother-in-law could do it, maybe I can as well.  Atleast I can give it a try.  It will require a lot of training and a complete lifestyle change, but it is possible. 

I have to think a few thoughts every day until my brain believes them.  I am amazing.  I can do anything. Positivity is a choice.  I celebrate my individuality.  I am prepared to succeed. 

This dreamer is still alive.  Watch me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site