There is a classroom at U of M.......

Today is Father's Day and I am reflecting on a father that I never met.  This guy's father passed before I could meet him formally but I feel I know him well. 

The man was a history professor but he was so much more than that.  He was VP Academic and Dean of Arts and Department Chair.  The man was passionate about soccer but he was so much more than that.  He was President of the Canadian Soccer Association and active in the FIFA organization.  He was a father but he was so much more than that.  When my partner was at the lowest points in his life, he didn't hesitate to call his dad at 3 am and his father listened and helped. 

His path in life was not easy.  He was a 9 year old Jew living in Germany when he was sent alone to live with a family in Britain for his safety.  9 years old and having to get through Europe during the cusp of World War II.  When he finally was able to get to a boat leaving for England, they didn't want to let a boy alone on the boat with nobody to vouch for him.  The entire boat vouched for him.  That is likely where he learned about the kindness of strangers. I lesson he carried with him and tried to pay forward.  Some how from those beginnings he rose to get his Ph.D. from Oxford University. 

One of my favorite stories my partner tells is the night of 9/11.  My partner found himself at his father's home and asked "why?"  His dad proceeded to give him a private three hour lecture on the history of hate and the birth of terrorism. 

His father was 75 when he passed.  He says that his dad lived in live in three 25 year modules.  In the last 25 years of his life, he didn't life to the fullest.  He lived life to excess.  Believe me, he earned it.  He was with a remarkable woman and they weren't shy about showing the world how happy they were. 

Whether you earn it or not, there is a lot to be said to living life to the fullest or even to the excess.  Why not?  You only have one life to live. 

And, yeah, there is a classroom at the U of M named after my partner's father.  It is in the library.  It is off an alcove down a hall and through an office and around a corner.  My partner is very proud of this classroom and as he should be.  To be memorialized by a University is remarkable.  We have been there three times.  It is no longer used as a classroom but as a private room to study.  We have gone there to take our pictures in front of the plaque.  We have taken my children to inspire them.  It is an interesting room.  There is a lot of windows looking out on the library but desks and other objects have been moved to cover them up.  There is a lot of empty space with some decorative pillows near there.  Each time we have been inside, a young couple comes in holding hands.  They say that they are there to study but they don't have any books.  They say they will come back later. 

The classroom is very well used but I don't think it has much to do with academia.  Somehow, I think Fred would approve. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site