Donald Trump is not the problem

Emerson, Manitoba continues to make international news as the border town that many refuges are choosing to cross into Canada to seek asylum from an unwelcoming USA.  The town considers itself to be in "crisis" from this situation, having on average of one person crossing the border every day.

Today, the federal government sent help to Emerson to help process this increased "workload".  I watched the news tonight as one of the local residents confronted a government official for coming to help these selfish "asylum seekers".  The local resident was yelling at the official for trying to help noting that "no one was helping them (the residents of Emerson) through this."

I tried to listen as closely as I could because I was really trying to understand what the residents are going through.  As much as I tried, the only thing I understand is that they are scared someone is going to knock on their windows at night.  I understand that is a real thing and I also understand that this concern is shared by anyone who lives in an urban setting.

I watch these residents of Emerson who are not afraid to go on record and appear on tv and I have mixed emotions.  Part of me feels shame that they are small minded, bigoted, and acting like fools and don't have the common sense to realize that the media is exploiting them.   Part of me feels incredibly sad that we have really gone there.   It seems we have reached new societal lows and have lost our ability to feel compassion for others.   Part of me can't stop laughing at these clowns.

However, I feel the real joke is on all of us.  These are the same groups of people that voted for Trump.  The problem is not Donald Trump.   The problem is that there are people out there who like Donald Trump.

Comments

  1. I think I am going to continue to go with Donald Trump being the problem

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site