Empathy

Yeah, my eye again but do not worry, it is not really about that.  I want to talk about empathy.  You know those television commercials by an insurance company where they try to teach their employees empathy by destroying their cars and making them fully water-logged.  I can not stand those commercials, mostly because I wonder what kind of society we are that we have to teach empathy.  Should that not be hard-wired in our DNA.  Oh.  Wait.  I have been told that I can not say anything in my blog or social media that might be considered criticism.  I take that back.  I love that we need to teach empathy.  I love that we can not just feel for our fellow earthlings and understand things from their perspective.  I love that empathy is something that we need to teach.

Yesterday, my partner was struggling with something.  He has had to come out of denial and into reality.  It is a reality that I have been proving beyond a shadow of a doubt for several years.  Yet, he still maintained his denial.

By remaining in denial, he has caused me unnecessary pain.  Even though, I have expressed this pain to him, for some reason, he has not believed me until I have started internally bleeding in my eye area.  Be telling him that I was in pain was not enough, but, he can now see evidence.   I am not being critical of him in any way.  Empathy is not something that is easy for him.  He needs to learn this.  That is not being critical.  That is reality.

But, I was so concerned about his struggle.  I do not like seeing others in pain.  I did a small gesture.  I posted on his page that he was struggling and asked for people to send positive messages for him to feel better.   He got many messages, both public and private.  When he went to sleep last night, he felt so much better.  He felt at peace.  He thanked me for doing that for him.

No problem.  Happy to do it.  Now, I am going to be critical of myself.  I think that is allowed.  I did a selfless act for my partner, yet, I also noticed that he has never done a selfless act for me when I have been in pain.  That is criticism of me.  It was obviously not selfless if I want credit for it  I am a horrible person.  I truly am not worthy of my incredible partner who is so far above me.

Yesterday, I wanted to blog about the decision of the provincial government to decline to fund safe injection sites.  It is short-sighted but I can not be critical.  I also wanted to blog about the Bay selling touques with a certain slogan on them.  But, I can not be critical.  I also have great plans to bring down the Tim Horton Empire.  How am I going to accomplish this when I can not be critical.  I guess I will not be able to figure this out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site