Shout Out to Kind Anonymous Stranger


Children are geniuses, we all know that.  The reason is that they are blank slates, or tabula rasa, as noted by John Locke.  Although the concept of the blank slate can be traced back to Aristotle.  Children are so smart because they don't know any better.  They don't know how to make assumptions, how to fear, how to hate.  

Regular readers will know that I have the most perfect grandson in the world.  No, I am not biased.  What makes him perfect is that he doesn't know that I am an idiot.  It is true.  I am a deeply flawed human being, as we all are.  I have volumes of faults.  Actually, when I start to think about it, I am a complete moron   But, my grandson doesn't know that yet.  He was born a blank slate and I am his grandma.  So far, I am perfect.  The exciting thing about him being a blank slate is that if I play my cards right, he will never know that I am an idiot.  That is what motivates me.  I can rise above.  I can use my unique combination of life experiences to my advantage.  I can be perfect for my grandson.  As we all can for all babies near and dear to us.  

You can't tell by the picture but my grandson is in that car.  I was as excited as he was so I kept missing him in pictures.  (Don't tell him.  He thinks I am perfect.)  

Yes, the time before this at the Play Palace, he made it to level 3 on the climbing sculpture.  That may not sound like a lot to many, but, remember, children are geniuses.  Children are not like adults.  They don't know to knock themselves down.  They know that going from level 1 to level 3 is a huge accomplishment.  They don't know how to put a "but" after that accomplishment.  They don't know how to judge themselves by using a "just".  

Regardless, last week my grandson approached his visit to the Play Palace with vigor.  He wasn't going to be satisfied with merely watching the other kids going down the slides and driving the car at the top of the structure.  He just really didn't know how to get there.  He needed a little help from a friend.  Of course, he turned to me.  Grandma please.  Please come and go up with me.  I wanted to go so badly, but, I was too big.  I needed something to distract him quickly so that he have time to think about it.  I didn't want him to know that I wasn't perfect.  

A little girl who was just a little bigger than my grandson came to the rescue.  She saw the situation and took action.  She went to my grandson and extended her hand.  She hadn't learned yet that she was not supposed to help a complete stranger and get involved in something that wasn't her business.  My grandson didn't know that he was supposed to be suspicious of strangers.  

He took her hand.  She guided him up to the top of the structure.  He was thrilled.  I was more thrilled!  He was so proud that he drove the car, and went down the slide.  Now, that he knew the way, he repeated this about a hundred times.  So proud.  So excited.  He was so excited that he didn't even say "thank you" to the little girl who helped him.  That was ok for the little girl.  She wasn't old enough to know that you don't do nice things for people without expecting something in return.  She didn't know to keep score.  She actually stood at the bottom with me and watched.  She was so happy to play a part in this story.  

It was an exciting moment.  It was made exciting because of the kindness of a complete stranger.  I am so grateful to this stranger.  I hope I can learn from her, and remember how wonderful you feel when you help someone.  You get what you give.  Also, there is no one in the world who doesn't need "a little from a friend."  

Happy New Year.  2019 can be a clean slate.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site