Silver Birch.......not a typo !!


Most people are talking and singing about silver belles, but I am going to talk about Silver Birch.  My mother's first job was at the Foam Lake School Board.  When she left, they give her a whole set of Silver Birch China.  The pictures show a small sampling.  I have the complete 8 piece set with every accessory available.  Gravy Boat.  Coffee Carafe.  Tea pot.  Vegetable Bowls.  Cake plates.  Pickle dishes.  My mother was so proud of this china set.  She got another full set of china when she got married, Chantilly Lace, but she loved her Silver Birch.  She loved special dinners when she could bring out her finest china.  I never got the appeal.  I didn't know how a birch tree could inspire china.  My mother was so proud to pass them down to me.  I confess, I felt like I drew the short straw.  I broke a coffee cup a couple of years ago during my annual dusting and found a replacement at The Bay.  I could not believe what they were charging.  I also confess, I have tried to give it away and no one would take it, including a thrift store. 

Today, I have been reading and reflecting a lot about gratitude.  Simply, gratitude makes you healthier and happier.  Oprah was on to something.  A gratitude journal is something we all should have. 

I also believe in the power of the universe.  I believe the universe is sending messages.  It is up to us to listen. 

So, there I was feeling a little hard done by today so I was mindlessly scrolling through facebook and I came upon a message from the universe. 

It was a story and picture of a set of Rosalie china.  One of my friends had been on a quest to complete her Baba's china.  She managed to find a sweet man who had recently became a widower after losing his beloved wife and was looking to sell her Rosalie china.  The two started talking and he offered to deliver the china on his way to his winter home.  When the china was delivered, it was like two friends meeting.  She shared stories of her Baba and he shared stories of his wife.  There were even a few recipes tucked in the china which my friend told she would cook with honour in the china. 

Wow.  Here was this beautiful young woman wanting to hold close something that her Baba had held close.  The china led her to make a new friend and to ensure that his wife would live on through her recipes.  What a beautiful legacy. 

And here I was.  Feeling hard done by because I had this extra dusting to do, not to mention washing them once a year. 

What a wake up call.  I can't believe my good fortune in having a mother who was the kind of person that people felt compelled to give such a generous gift.  The china was more than a vessel to serve food in, it was a tangible way to connect to some dear friends and honour a happy period in her life. 

I'm making cabbage rolls for supper tonight.  (Ok, lazy cabbage rolls.)  But, they are going to be extra delicious because they will be served on Silver Birch.  And, whenever I am having a bad day, I am going to eat my comfort food on my Silver Birch.  And, I am going to be grateful. 

Thank you universe. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site