Toastmistress Journey - Penultimate Entry

There I was in Grade 12 and President of the Dauphin Toastmistress Club.  Except, we were no longer the Dauphin Toastmistress Club.  Over the summer, International Toastmistress Clubs became International Training in Communication.  So, we were still ITC  and we still were using the same logo.  For a club was devoted to communication, we felt very disturbed that this major change happened with little consultation.  We were told that this was necessary for our organization to grow.  People thought we were a female only organization and the change was meant to attract male members.  Our club debated this fiercely, even though the decision had been made and there was nothing to be done.  We directed our Secretary and President to write letters to the International Headquarters.  Also, there was no marketing support for the new change.  We certainly did not attempt to attract male members and if one stumbled our way, we would have redirected them to Toastmasters.  We still called ourselves Toastmistresses.  We felt a little betrayed by the organization.  Our whole Council 8 felt similar.  Not only was I President of our Club, I was also on the Council Executive.  As their Parliamentarian.  Not only did I find acceptance at our local club, I also managed to find acceptable at the Council level. 

Also, despite our displeasure with our International level, we had a lot to be happy about.  In October, our club was turning 10 years old and we were planning a huge gala evening on the Saturday before Halloween.  We had lots of details to iron out so our Anniversary Committee Chair reported at every meeting.  During one of her first reports, the new member from the big city asked how was going to be the Presiding Officer at the evening which would be a showcase of our club's 10 years.  The Committee Chair replied, "well, our President, of course."  Another unforgettable moment for me.  The Committee Chair was the one who had the loudest objections to me joining in the first place. 

The newer member said that it was unacceptable that I preside at the meeting.  It was one thing for me to be President of our Club, but we were having dignitaries from out of town and there would be Dauphin's elite in attendance bringing greetings, we simply could not embarrass ourselves by having a 16 year old preside at the meeting.  (I didn't comment that I would be actually turning 17 the week before the gala.)  I was at the lectern when this woman Moved that she be the Presiding Officer at the Anniversary Party.  I restated the Motion and asked for a Seconder.  Once it was seconded, I opened it to the floor for discussion.  The  Mover of the Motion spoke first and she spoke passionately about herself and her skills and spoke nastily about me.  This was the first time, anyone spoke on the record negatively about another member.  Inside, I felt a little vomit in my mouth, but on the outside, I was very poised and showed no reaction.  I was a Toastmistress.  I was trained to be poised.  The seconder of the Motion spoke next.  She didn't speak against me but spoke in favour of the other woman.  There was no further discussion.  At that point, I felt really hurt.  No one spoke in support of me.  But, I remained poised.  I asked if they were ready for the question and repeated the Motion on the floor..  I asked those is favour to raise their hand.  Two hands went up.  I asked those opposed to raise their hands.  The secretary informed me that there was 2 in favour and 23 opposed.  I declared the Motion defeated.   The Committee Chair didn't miss a beat and continued with her report.  I tried to remain poised but I had a hard time not smiling and with my eyes, I thanked each member who voted for me.  Most of them winked back. 

And, it turned out to be worth it.  The Anniversary Party was amazing.  The current International President was from Winnipeg and there was another Past International President living in Winnipeg.  They both came.  One was President during our formation and the other was the President during our Anniversary.  Both of their first names were Ruth.  Ruth Shepherd and Ruth Lamb.  I confess I don't remember which was which.  In total, we had about 100 guests in attendance.  It was the first time I had my hair done prior to an event.  It was a very magical evening. 

It was critical training as I was entering adulthood.  I learned poise.  I also learned that respect has to be earned and it isn't that difficult.  I also learned that to gain people's respect, you had to just be yourself and you didn't need to tell them all of your accomplishments.  Good work speaks for itself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site