Toastmistress Journey - Part 5

So, here I was starting Grade 10 and starting my second year as a Toastmistress.  I was Club Treasurer and also on a few committees.  There was no more whispers about me not belonging because I was too young.  In fact, the ladies encouraged me to recruit my friends.  I really tried because I knew what a positive difference it was happening in my life.  None of my friends were interested in becoming Mistresses of the Bread.  They couldn't understand why I was wasting an evening a week and even doing extra work during the week.  It didn't negatively affect my grades and I think it was actually enhancing them as I was more confident and was learning time management skills as well positive reinforcement for what I was learning.  

As it also turned out, I became more attuned that ITC standing for International Toastmistress Clubs.  It was an international organization.  We were in a Council called Council 8 which coincidentally contained 8 clubs in South Western Winnipeg.  Council meetings happened quarterly. and happened on a Saturday from about 9 am to about 3 pm.  8 clubs and we took turns hosting.  

The fall of my second year was the Dauphin Club's turn to host.  Almost all of our 20 plus members attended as well as about 5 from each other club.  I was invigorated being part of this meeting.  There were some whispers from the other clubs that I was a little young to be a Toastmistress but those were quickly quieted by members of my club.  These ladies had my back.  

At my first Council meeting, I learned a very valuable life lesson from a member of the Dauphin Club named Mary Olench.  Mary and her husband owned the Mary Jayne Shop.  It was one of two women's clothing stores in Dauphin.  Mary was a waking advertisement for the store.  She was always impeccably dressed in the latest fashions.  In addition, her hair was always perfectly coiffed and her make-up was flawless.  She was also had a very sultry Marilyn Munroe voice.  She was every inch a lady and always looked like she was on her way to a fashion shoot.  At this Council meeting, she was wearing a purple suede skirt and matching jacket.  She had a lilac blouse with a lace collar and she had thigh high purple leather boots.  She looked like she had just stepped off of Vogue.  She had a daughter older than me so I knew she was middle-aged.  She was called on for Table Topics.  In Toastmistress, when you were called for Table Topics, you stood up and the Table Topics Master gave you your question, so it was purely impromptu and you had no time to prepare as you walked to the lectern.  Mary was given a choice.  Answer a difficult and obscure parliamentary procedure question or go stand on your head.  Without a second of hesitation, Mary walked toward the wall and stood on her head.  She wasn't successful but she tried and she got a few hairs out of place.  Then, she bowed to the thunderous applause that she received.  

This was an invaluable life lesson.  You can be professional and still have a sense of whimsy.  In fact, a sense of whimsy is essential to a good leader.  Sometimes, you enhance your leadership by having a good laugh - at yourself.  Sometimes, being a good role model means getting a hair out of place.  Also, when given a difficult choice, sometimes the easier choice is actually more difficult.  I was always in awe of Mary Olench but now she was more human as I good see the humorous side to her. 

Throughout the next few years, I attended all Council meetings that I could and always learned something tangible and I always learned a valuable life lesson.  I was part of a great sisterhood.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site