For What It's Worth

My theme for 2020 was to be more intentional.  I made this in January before I had any idea of what was coming in the world.  What I meant is that I did not want to waste time doing things that did not contribute positively to the world.  My partner had his own theme for the year:  Be Kind.  Our themes were complementary.  Both of us wanted to make sure that our footprint on the world was positive.

Once the State of Emergency Orders took place in our province and country, I think most of us examined our priorities and determined what was really important to us.  This also came at a time when a great racial reckoning is underway.  Those of us who are white have had to do a deep analysis and come to terms with how we have benefited from white privilege.  I start many of my days listening to the Billy Porter cover of For What It's Worth.  It is a great cover and I find it gives me a little get up and go.  And, I have needed it.  Unfortunately, the divisive and angry politics in America is flowing over to Canada.  I can not believe some of it and it makes me profoundly sad.  Not only do we have to worry about protecting ourselves from Covid19, but, it feels like no matter who wins in November, that the US might be in a civil war.  It is hard to be positive and hopeful. 

I just keep focusing on what I have to be grateful for.  My children are wonderful people.  My grandson is simply a bundle of joy.  I have a partner who loves me unconditionally and we have the type of relationship where we can talk and disagree.  My relationship with him comes with many perks.  One of the perks is that keeps me on track when I forget my theme of the year.  He helps to remind me of what is really important. 

There is another important perk that I get from my partner.  There is someone who follows me anonymously on social media and high-lights the very disturbing comments that I make and sends them to my partner.  This is very helpful to me and much appreciated.  Sometimes I am really overwhelmed with concern about the virus that I make mistakes.  It is good that someone has my back and is helping me grow. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site