You Can Be Too White

 

There was a little girl who was as white as you can get.  Literally, a porcelain doll.  And, that little girl was me.  

Seriously, growing up, I didn't have to wear a costume on Halloween, I was already a ghost.  White, white, white.  

And, yes, there was something wrong with that.  Trust me.  It is called the sun.  I love the warmth of the sun on my skin.  However, for decades, I would go from porcelain to red lobster.  Absolutely nothing in between. White.  Red.  White.  Red.  

Believe me, I am so grateful that as I have aged, I have added some pigment to my skin and I can experience some shades in between.  I know repeated sun exposure is not healthy, but, I was so excited when I turned 40 and actually had a tan.  

Today, September 30, we are having a conversation about a white supremacist group.  It doesn't sadden me that these groups exist, it horrifies me.  It is like a flashback to my childhood and I am embarrassed to be white.  We all heard what Trump said last night in the circus masquerading as a debate.  We all know that it is what it is.  

Then, I watched Hogan Gidley on CNN with John Berman today.  I don't know what it was, but it wasn't an interview. Nobody could focus on what was being shouted.  All I could see was Hogan's teeth.  Bleached beyond belief.  I mean, frankly, we all participate in some sort of tooth whitening program.  But, this.  I am sure these teeth could have been seen by satellite.  Too white.  And, yes, you can be too white.  

More than it being an unfortunate tone for Hogan, it also represented what is wrong with the Trump campaign.  It has been said that Trump only cares about people who share his surname.  Well, Hogan Ridley, you presented as someone who cares only about yourself and shallow things like teeth, rather than actually doing whatever you think is your job.  

You are completely out of touch with society.  We are living through a global pandemic coupled with an economic crisis and a social justice reckoning.  Most people are hanging on to whatever disposal income they may have and have eliminating frivolities from their budget.  Not only because we don't have the money, but because we don't have the time for such shallow ventures.  

Hogan, you are too white and that is shouting more than any of your words.  Just stop it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site