My Gift is Life and My Dream May Happen

My blog is dedicated to social justice.  Sometimes when I tell people about my blog, they stop me and say they are not interested in hearing anything more.  I don't really know why social justice is a difficult concept for some.  It simply means that everyone should experience the world in the same way. 

Some people think my blog is just my way of complaining about things that don't go my way.  Well, it is true, I do complain a lot and sometimes I am tired of that, too.   But, my purpose is to highlight when I see that people are having a different experience based on a demographic.  My goal is introspection and change so that we can all have the same experience.  A couple of years ago, I wrote an entry about poor customer service while donating blood.  I know there are so many restrictions to giving blood that I think if you are able to donate blood, you should.  But, instead of being a wonderful experience for me, it no longer was.  I sent my entry to Canadian Blood Services and received a call back from a Manager.  We had a great talk and she was going to use my entry as a coaching opportunity for staff.  My goal was achieved. 

I didn't see much meaningful change until last fall.  When I completed the online questionnaire, the computer data base remembered that I wasn't born in Haiti so it didn't ask me about that.  It also remembered that I was female so I didn't have to answer questions that were only applicable to males.  I was encouraged but I didn't want to get too excited. 

Then, the dreaded pamphlet.  It is not that I don't like reading the pamphlet, it is just that I have read it many times and only a word or two changes and staff members actually won't let you go further on your donation journey unless they supervise you reading the pamphlet.  But, this time when I was reading the pamphlet, one word jumped out at me immediately.  MAY.  Donor staff may take your blood pressure.  MAY.  I couldn't believe it.  This was the first time the pendulum had shifted.  Apparently, everyone is nervous before giving blood so almost everyone tests "higher" than normal and they stress about that so taking bp is not automatic.  (I didn't get mine taken.)  I breezed through my personal interview and on to the donation phase. 

I had an angel put the needle in me to start my blood flowing.  She remembered me and asked where my partner was because she remembered that we usually come together and she thought that was adorable.  My partner was just a few people behind me.  She introduced me to the gentleman in the next chair as he was a new Canadian and giving his first donation and he and I had a nice chat.  The three of us were laughing and enjoying ourselves.  And, she told me some good news.  The age restriction on donating blood has been lifted.  Research shows that people are living healthier and when it comes to health, for many, 80 is the new 40.  So, after 71, you can still donate but you need a note from your doctor.  It used to be 60 was the cut-off for women.  So, I knew I was likely going to reach 75 donations but I didn't think I would achieve my real goal of 100.  Now, that dream is still alive.  Research is now on my side!! 

Even the snacks post-donation have had a little make-over to make them a little more user friendly. 

I haven't been saying this much over the last two years, but giving blood is one of the best gifts you can give to yourself.  Yes, you are saving lives, but you also feel "awesome" for a day or two.  If you have a chance to feel "awesome", you definitely should take it.  And, if you want to feel awesome this Saturday morning, come down and donate with my partner and I.  You go in thinking that you are going to change a life, and the life you end up changing is yours. 

Canadian Blood Services deserve to be recognized for their tremendous strides in customer service and streamlining the donation process.  I am proud to be able to give the gift of life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site