The Sadness of the Wet"Suwet"en

The historical Chiefs of the Wet"suwet"en are meeting now with federal and provincial officials.  The meetings are expected to last two days.  Neither side is optimistic and neither side is even articulating the goals of the meeting.  It seems to be that the historical Chiefs have inspired a movement and it is much more than about a pipeline.  Given the incredible "spirit" of the protests across the country, it seems that the Prime Minister should be at the table and not just issuing statements that the situation is "disturbing". 

Yesterday was an "uncomfortable" day in Winnipeg. 

I have an aunt who is one of the most amazing people I know.  Within two years, she will turn 90.  She became a widow shortly after her marriage in her early 20s.  That tragedy didn't stop her from having a successful career with the RCMP.  She was the type of person who always has taken on extra responsibilities.  Once she had more times when she retired, she made it her mission to practically keep the Legion alive in Dauphin. She still is the first asked whenever a job is to be done at the Legion.  She never says "no" to anything unless it conflicts with her annual attendance at the RCMP Memorial Service at Regina Headquarters.  Her husband, Joe, lost his life while he was actively serving with the RCMP.  It has been decades and decades but my aunt still talks of her husband with love and fondness.  She has traveled the world and has done amazing things but she never moved on from becoming a widow.  I spent a great deal of my childhood with my aunt.  She was best friends with my parents and I seemed to be along for most of the ride.  She laughs easily and often.  I used to spend a week a summer at her cabin where she taught me how to canoe among other things.  I basically have known my aunt my entire life and she loves me enough to give me advice that I don't like. However, I have never heard her say a malicious word about anyone.  She is just a kind beautiful woman. 

She also is responsible for my mom's career as a Civilian Member with the RCMP.  She loved her career.  She was a dispatcher for many communities.  I know she was very well respected, but I also know she was a little bit of a pain.  I know when officers were out on a call, she was sweating every moment with them.  She was constantly checking up on them to ensure their safety.  She also would give them a little reminder when she thought they may have been on break while there were calls waiting.  She also encouraged the Officer to throw the book at me the time that I got a speeding ticket.  She attended many courses at "D" Division in Winnipeg.  My mom said her career with the RCMP made her a better person.  I don't know about that.  She was pretty awesome before she was a Member. 

The vandalism to the Memorial Statue felt a little personal to me.  Vandalism is just sad but yesterday was full of sadness. 

The Canadian Human Rights Museum is responsible for my love of Winnipeg.  Seriously.  It is so well done.  I have been several times and each time it is a different experience.  But, it is still a journey from darkness to light.  On the first level, you are overwhelmed with information.  There is so much to process but somehow you are drawn to the information that you "need" to know.  As you go higher, you start feeling more depressed at the human condition, and just when you think, you can't possibly take anymore, you start feeling better and empowered and when you leave you feel this tremendous sense of hope for the future and you also feel that your individual contributions to making the world a better place matter.  As a Ukrainian Canadian, I am particularly impressed with their documentation of the difficulties my ancestors in the old country.  It is important history that is not known enough. 

The vandalism to the Museum also felt personal.  It was equally disappointed to see references to a group of white males who wore hoods and were responsible for lynches, among other horrors. 

I don't live in Minister Dan Vandal's riding nor have I met him, but I did watch him being sworn in as Minister of Northern Affairs.  I saw how he was equally giddy and weighed down by the responsibility of being a Federal Minister.  I was impressed and wrote a blog entry how I thought he may play a key role in reconciling our country. 

The vandalism to his office didn't feel personal, but, it was also sad.  I am sure it felt personal to him and I am sure that will be in his mind as he moves forward. 

My partner and I talked a long time last night about the protests, the blockades, the pipeline, history, and solutions.  We didn't come up with any.  Hopefully, smarter people than us are working towards solutions. 

I doubt the anger that was expressed at the CHRM was really about the community in the BC interior trying to stop a pipeline.  By the way, within the Wet'Suwet"en, there is also no unanimous opinion on what the solution should be. 

Peaceful protests can be powerful and meaningful and historically effective.  United we stand.  When protests escalate to illegal activity, it is counterproductive, and it is sad. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site