The World is Becoming Too Small

A couple of summers ago, this rest and recharge area "popped up" downtown.  It was such a beautiful oasis where you could sit and relax or play a game.  The plants were fragrant and it was just a great place to hang out.  I made a point of hanging out there for a little once a week.  I may have written a couple of blog entries there.  For some reason, I was usually the only one taking advantage of this pop-up.  It was hard to understand why other than maybe people knew I was coming. Regardless, this is what I like to think of Winnipeg.  A bunch of little jewels that I have yet to discover. 

That is what I choose to think but sadly I also have to face reality.  Horrific things that I would like to think only happens in large places in "the States" are happening here.  I have reluctantly accepted that we have a real methamphetamine crisis in the City.  It is not in certain areas, it is everywhere.  Theft, vandalism, and petty crimes doesn't surprise me.  The amount and the variety of guns and weapons that police seize still astounds me.  And, it seems endless.  I like to be naive and think those weapons are only south of our border. 

Yesterday, the Winnipeg Police made an arrest of a 27 year old female teacher and charged with providing minors with alcohol and sexual assault of a minor.  Police indicate that they are still doing interviews and more charges and more victims may be forth-coming.  The victim and the other presumed victims are all students of the teacher.  The gender of the victims is not being reported. 

What???? 

Teachers do the most important work in educating our next generation.  How dare one take advantage of even one teenager struggling with the confusion and uncertainty of adolescence.  How does one ever expect a victim to ever trust an authority figure? 

I know so many teachers that go above and beyond every day and take the responsibility of educating the future generation seriously and with honour. 

A teacher assaulting a student is unthinkable. 

Also, teaching jobs within the city are not easy to come by.  Most young teachers need to either go to rural Manitoba or serve time as a substitute.  The background checks and the interviewing process as well as becoming a teacher are difficult, as they should be.  We only want the best influencing our youth.  What went wrong in this situation? 

Often times, when things like this happen, people come forward and say I always knew something was off but I didn't say anything.  Obviously, this perpetrator slipped through the cracks somehow. 

Just really sad that it happened in Winnipeg so I have to face the reality that even though there are still many undiscovered jewels, there is also dark things happening. 

If you have a school age child in your life, give them a hug and assure them that you are always available to listen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site