Previewing Scotties Wild Card Game

I can't help it, I love curling.  If it wasn't for curling, I wouldn't be here.  My parents met in a curling rink in Biggar, Saskatchewan.  Growing up in Dauphin, curling was my parent's social life and led to many life long friendships.  My mother was probably one of the worst curlers to step on to the ice, but she was prolific in her enthusiasm and her off-ice antics.  Back in the day, the curling rink was my baby-sitter.  At the time, it was appropriate for parents to supervise their children from the ice.  My curling days are behind me but I still think I am very competitive for the title of Uber fan. 

I would never say anything negative about Jennifer Jones.  After all, she is probably the best clutch shot curler ever.  However, sometimes, I have felt she has called really difficult shots for the players ahead of her rather than the simpler shots which have set up the hero shots that she usually makes.  Maybe that is just me that thinks that.  Regardless, she has not only been the most successful curler in Canadian history, she has arguably done the most to grow the game and inspire young players.  Also, she is the most media savvy curler.  She simply doesn't say anything negative or controversial.  Actually, the last time I remember her saying something negative was when she didn't medal at the World Championships in Scotland.  This was way back, back when Cathy O was her third.  She blamed the ice conditions.  It turned out, she also had a very bad case of the flu. 

And, then came this year.  Something doesn't seem right.  Dawn doesn't seem particularly engaged.  The team seems to have this sense of urgency to them, for some reason.  Communication doesn't seem to be as effortless as it used to be.  I am not hearing her say, "Kaitlyn" after every shot which is her request for Kaitlyn to come to discuss the next shot.  And, then, prior to the start of the Manitoba Championship, she was quoted as saying, "Worst format ever".  Well, she may have been right.  But, it was just so unheard of for her to say anything negative, and about the Manitoba Championship.  She hasn't lived in Manitoba for years and every year since the move, she seems to losing some of her fan base in Manitoba.  But, I think the fractured team dynamic was on display at the Manitoba Championship game.  It wasn't the most well played game by either team but it seemed that Jones was going to take it, up until the team's first time out.  Kaitlyn's mom was their coach for the event.  Jennifer had gone threw all the options before the Coach was on the ice.  Once Cheryl was on the ice, Kaitlyn said to her mom, "do you see anything?" and before the question was finished, Jones started sliding down the ice.  Almost the same thing happened on the last time out.  Kaitlyn is an accomplished professional so she can park almost anything, but, can she really park having her mom being disrespected.  For me, these are things that can affect a curling game.  Regardless, anytime Jennifer Jones is in a sudden death game, she is automatically the favorite due to her talent and experience.  They don't have anything to work on prior to the game on a technical level, but they may have some team-building to do. 

Then, there is Team Fleury.  Well, they are impossible not to like.  They never seem to get down on each other and always seem to be encouraging each other.  They seem like they only want to continue curling if they are having fun.  They want to win, of course, but don't seem to put pressure on themselves.  Yesterday, I was volunteering for Iron Man Curling when Selena Nyegovan, Kristen MacCuish, and Jill Officer came in separately to practice for the upcoming Wild Card Game.  I was in the presence of greatness and I was literally shaking.  I didn't want to bother these athletes but they ended up sitting right behind me so I could eavesdrop on their conversation.  I know Jill hasn't got her Coaching Certificate quite yet, but she is already a master coach.  Completely positive feedback and uses the commend, recommend, commend method.  Their focus of conversation was mental preparation.  There was nothing negative about the opponents just opportunities to raise themselves. I couldn't stand it anymore and had to interrupt.  I apologized but asked if I could take a selfie.  They were so gracious and Jill even scrunched down so that all of our heads could get into the shot.  That is the sign of an empath.  She could have flaunted her height, but she didn't.  I was so excited that I pressed record instead of photo.  Thank goodness, my man was there to save the day with his camera. 

Two things are for sure.  The Wildcard game is going to be exciting.  The second thing is the camera doesn't lie.  As you are watching, pay attention to how the players interact and the dynamics of their team.  It is going to be a close game but I think it will come down to one team shot and the team that communicates the best will probably take it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site