Fraud !!


I used to look forward to the MPI publishing their annual top fraud cases.  They were hilarious.  But, also not funny.  Fraud costs us all.  The last couple of year, they haven't been that funny.  Very boring, actually.  That tells me that MPI are doing a good job finding suspected fraud before it happens.  It also tells me we live in a tattle-tale society where we are willing to throw anyone under the bus.  Personally, I have only tried to throw my ex-husband under the bus, as everyone else I know is a quality person and would not engage in fraud.  

However, there are still so many phone scams out there.  I fell for one on the internet a few years ago.  My insomnia saved me.  I happened to quick my banking at 3:00 am and discovered a large amount was withdrawn from my account.  I phoned my bank immediately (they are available 24 hours) and reported this and answered all the questions honestly.and actually had a paper trail with the "company" that had basically taken my entire pay check.  I admitted I hadn't read the fine print. and that is why this happened.  Since I had called in the middle of the night, the bank hadn't "released" the money so they put a hold on it until they contacted at an investigation  The bank representative also said that many people do not report because of embarrassment or they don't admit how they were scammed and their role in the process.  Five days later, the investigation was in my favour.  

So, I just got the SIN /CRA phone scam phone call.  Caller ID said the number was called from Canada.  The area code was from Jamaica.  They are tricky, these fraudsters.  

I heard that a number of organizations are getting together to having a "fraud cafe".  A place where you can come and report fraud or learn about fraud.  Seems like something with good intentions which probably won't yield the results wanted.  It may be canceled anyway due to social distancing initiatives.  Regardless, they are scheduled to have two; one at KP mall and one at St. Vital mall.  My only issue is that St. James has the highest concentration of seniors in the city.  St. James needs to be added as a location.  Also, malls are not going to attract the audience desired.  I would suggest smaller cafes at community centres.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site