Pallister Cuts School Breakfast Programs

As a grandmother, I can tell you one of the most beautiful sights is watching your grandson sleep peacefully.  I can tell you that another one of the most beautiful sights is watching your grandson awake.  I, like every other human, have made mistakes.  My grandson doesn't know that.  He just knows that I love him and he thinks I am perfect.  It is like having my life start again.  Eventually, he will find out that I am not perfect, so I am going to enjoy my perfection for as long as I can.  And, it is not just me.  My angel thinks everyone he meets is perfect until shown otherwise.  The point is he is innocent and naive.  Whatever the adults do around him, he is not making the decisions. 

Some children just aren't lucky when it comes to choosing their parents. Some grow up in situations where there is little money for basic necessities.  Some children, in our own communities, are growing up hungry through no fault of their own.  School nutrition programs help fill an important gap by ensuring each child has a healthy breakfast in order to help them focus and learn at their optimum level.  Providing students nutrition is just common sense.  It actually ensures the money spent goes directly to the children needing it. 

I say that Pallister is cutting this as opposed to the Conservative government because all through the election, the Conservative ads were all about Pallister's Manitoba. 

Brian Pallister is a lot like Brian Mulroney.  I met Brian Mulroney many times.  Each time, he was down to earth, obviously deeply in love with his wife, laughed easily, and seemed genuinely sincere.  I never saw him behind closed doors of a Cabinet meeting.  I understand the tough lawyer persona came out.  Regardless, Mulroney had a simple formula.  Get elected with a majority.  Run for re-election on your record and then with your second majority, go all out, because you have no plans to run for a third term. 

Last fall, I met Brian Pallister at an informal gathering.  He was down to earth, obviously deeply in love with his wife, laughed easily, and seemed genuinely sincere.  That is certainly not the public persona of this man.  But, he is still following Mulroney's playbook, get elected, run for re-election on your record, and then to all out because you have no plans to run for a third term.  In fact, to me, it seems that he is grooming two Minister's to take the reigns when he resigns. 

The reality is that we are a small province economically and a large province geographically.  Whats the harm in spending a few bucks ensuring all students have a level playing field by a healthy breakfast.  It is not billions.  It is a few lousy bucks.  Pallister, seriously, we know you can be tough, but show us you can also be soft. 

If you have a need to be tough, get rid of Wowchuk out of your caucus. 

Feeding hungry innocent kids, well, that is just common sense. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site