State of Emergency - Day 1

A State of Emergency was declared in Manitoba yesterday.  I tried to read everything I could about the changes and basically nothing was changed from the recommendations of social distancing made over a week ago.  The only difference is now they can enforce the recommendations.  This means there must have been significant evidence that some were not following the rules. 

I did grocery shopping yesterday and ran some errands for friends.  While in my grocery store, I saw some extraordinary examples of social distancing and being prepared and saw some equally awful examples.  One woman demanded to speak to a manager after she was denied a refund on a $7 pepper.  As the whole store heard, she never would have bought this pepper if she knew it was $7.  After she was denied a refund, she basically told the manager where she wanted to put the pepper and the whole store heard.  I think they should have given her the $7.  Why escalate a situation? Many think that a baby boom is going to happen about 9 months hence.  Unfortunately, I think the opposite.  I think the incidents of family violence will rise.  I think crime will rise.  Some people, like I, are just grateful for what we have, and will do our part.  Other people, will resent government intrusion in their lives, and will act out. 

I have a narcissist in my circle.  Well, more than one, but this one is having the hardest time.  He is about to find out that he is not special.  His retirement savings are falling rapidly, the same as all of ours.  It shouldn't happen to him, he has a guy.  Well, we all have guys.  But, his guy is the best.  He has also been traveling within the province despite the recommendation not to do so.  He might still intend to do so.  He thinks he is one of the most essential people in the province, yet, his job has not be deemed essential. He is finding the same difficulties getting toilet paper that we all are having.  He can't believe that this is happening to him.  We are all in this together.  Whatever your politics, you have to be impressed by our government's leadership on this.  My narcissist thought when they said, "we are all in this together", they didn't mean him.  If anything, COVID-19 will be a great equalizer. 

Stay safe.  Keep your distance.  Only leave home for essential reasons.  This is truly something you are doing for others, and not just for yourself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site