Perimeter Vision

People in Manitoba who live outside the Perimeter often feel disenfranchised from the people in Winnipeg.  We call this Perimeter Vision.  We think people in Winnipeg are only focused on what happens within the Perimeter.  We feel neglected.  People in Winnipeg don't understand what we are talking about.

It is funny that I say "we" when I am referring to people living outside of Winnipeg, since I have been living in Winnipeg for over 10 years.  It just goes to show you, you can take the girl out of Dauphin, but you can't take Dauphin out of the girl.   I may live in Winnipeg, but when I cross the border and the Customs Officer ask me where I'm from, I always say Dauphin.  

Winnipeg is expanding outside the official boundaries of the Perimeter, but Perimeter Vision still remains.

It is hard to explain to Winnipegers who, of course, think they pay complete attention to all areas of the province.  After all, they list the temperatures of all major locations during all news casts.  

I hope this story will bridge some understanding.  

When I was in high school, there was a Mock United Nations Assembly held in Winnipeg every year during Spring Break. It may still occur.   I think this was funded by the Kinsmen organization.  Since it was held, in Winnipeg, all Winnipeg high schools participated in this.  It was more expensive for high schools outside of Winnipeg to participate.  Their Kinsmen clubs had to donate not only the registration fee, but transportation costs, accommodation charges, etc.  One year, my Kinsmen club decided to let a team from DRCSS join the United Nations. It was quite exciting and I was chosen to be one of the two participants.  I don't know how much this actually cost, but let's use this as an example. Participants in Winnipeg got to participate in this life-enhancing experience for about a $200 donation from their community organization.  This might inspire a life-long interest in politics and it was an opportunity to groom future community leaders.  My Kinsmen club probably had to donate $1000 for the same opportunity.  It probably would have been fairer if they could have figured out how much it would have costed every high school in Manitoba to participate and then divide the number by the participants. That way, it would be more of a level playing field.  People in Winnipeg would have to pay a little bit more, but it would have demonstrated a commitment to the obstacles that people outside the perimeter have to participate.  

Once chosen, we had about 6 months to prepare.  I started to prepare even though we didn't know what country we would be given.  I found out everything I could about the United Nations and became as interested as anyone in Winnipeg.   And then, we finally got our country.  We would be representing the Dominican Republic.  I quickly researched the long history of involvement of the DR at the UN.  It was a quick search as there was essentially nothing.  DR wasn't actively involved in any committees and really didn't take a position on much as essentially the country is mostly known for tourism, resorts, golfing, and producing baseball players.  

When we arrived at MUNA, we saw Perimeter Vision at its finest.  All the big Winnipeg schools got the best countries.  SJR was USA; Gordon Bell was Russia; St. Paul's was China; St. Mary's Academy was Great Britain.  There wasn't a NATO country outside of Winnipeg.  And, our team had another harsh reality to face.  As part of their preparation, the Winnipeg schools had been meeting weekly to caucus and prepare.  They came with Motions, Committee Proposals, etc.  They already had determined who would be speaking for and against the Motions.  It was like a secret club and the Dominican Republic wasn't invited.  No one was interested in having the DR speak to their Motions, no one was interested in the input of the DR.  No one sent us any notes.  For two days, my partner and I sat and watched while the Winnipeg schools were a flood of activity and we sat in the back rows.  I felt stupid and misunderstood.  I ended up doing my homework from my other DR.  My partner ended up napping, which didn't help our case much for inclusion.    This MUNA was particularly effective; they passed Motions to eliminate the Arms Race; to end the Cold War; to provide Aid to Africa; to solve the West Bank Crisis; and to basically create World Peace.  The Dominican Republic was not involved in any of that.  The Dauphin Regional Comprehensive Secondary School wasn't either.  Personally, I think I could have been an asset for some of the negotiations because I actually felt I had some innovative thoughts.  No one gave me a chance.  I was the Dominican Republic and that was how I was seen.  Perimeter Vision.

It wasn't a total personal loss, though. I have actually been able to use this experience in my life. When I have gone to an all-inclusive resort in the DR, the bartenders have been particularly impressed that I represented their nation in the MUNA.  So impressed that they saw to do it that I never paid for a drink during my whole stay.  

Now, in a 50 Shades twist, it turns out that Winnipeg actually needs the rest of Manitoba.  The submissive becomes the dominant.  Winnipeg doesn't have enough the population base to be considered a major city in Canada. They need the rest of Manitoba's support in attracting conventions, concerts, filling sports venues, etc.  They can't make a proposal without including the rest of Manitoba.  Bwahahaha.  This will reach a tipping point next year.  Winnipegers are growing bored of Jets 2.0.  They will need the rest of Manitobans to keep the franchise going.   If we lose the Jets again, this will be a huge deflate to our economy and to our spirit.  Canada's Heart Beats Weaker.  
So, perhaps the people of Winnipeg should have been more visionary and recognized the importance of the DR along time ago and gave us more respect.  Perhaps we should have looked to the Saskatchewan Rough Riders for advice when deciding to name our team Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Maybe the Winnipeg Jets should have seen why their first version failed and why the Manitoba Moose seems to always succeed.  Winnipeg Jets 2.0 may have thought of a more inclusive name.  

It is only common sense.  The different perspectives have to get together and to exchange information.  Both parties have to be willing to listen, and move forward together.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site