I am hilarious ..... Just ask me !!

Yesterday, I had a meeting at the Richardson building.  I got into the elevator with a nice looking young man.  Almost immediately, I had to slap him.  He pinched my boob.  Seconds later, I had to apologize to him.  He didn't pinch my boob, it turned out he stepped on it. 

That was an excerpt from my schtick when I used to dabble in stand-up comedy.  I know, I know, I shouldn't have fictitiously slapped the guy.  Violence is never funny, but that wasn't really what the joke was about and it was fictitious.  I think the word fictitious goes well with my story because it has a "tit" in it.  Ok, I am done. 

I miss doing stand-up and am thinking of dabbling in it again.  Back in my comedy glory days, I weighed considerably less and was blonde.  My schtick was a little raunchy.  Unfortunately, comedy is still largely patriarchal.   It is more difficult for a woman to make it.  That is not meant to sound like "poor me" but it is reality that you have to be a little "out there" in order for a woman to succeed in comedy.  Stand-up was really important to me because it got me out of the darkness and into the light. 

I actually got tired of comedy, and it was because of one guy.  I'm going to call him Dave.  What I found out was that in any venue that I played in there was always a Dave.  I doubt his name was every Dave and they were all different guys.  But, every time I did comedy, there was a Dave.  Dave would be the guy who would sit in front row center and would never laugh.  Not only didn't laugh, wouldn't smile.  The rest of the audience could be laughing up their drinks through their nostrils and Dave would never crack a smile.  Unfortunately, I would focus on Dave and I would be on a mission to convert Dave.  I would look directly at Dave and when he wouldn't laugh, I would think it was because he didn't understand the joke, so I would explain it to him.  When you are a comedian and you have to explain your joke, guess what, your joke isn't funny.  At some point, the rest of the audience would be aware that I wasn't paying attention to them and I lost them.  All of this because of Dave !!  Well, it wasn't because of Dave, it was because of me.  After one show, I actually confronted "Dave" and asked him what was wrong with my act.  He said, "nothing" and he thoroughly enjoyed it, it was just that he never laughed outwardly but inside he was in stitches. 

The point is that in any industry or in any endeavor, there were always be a Dave.  There will always be someone who doesn't get your message or thinks you are a waste of time.  Don't make my mistake.  Don't focus on Dave.  Focus on the other 99 people who get you.  Or, it is also possible that there is only one person who gets you, and the other 99 are Daves.  It doesn't matter, focus on the one person. 

There is an old saying, that if you are looking for what is right, you will find it.  If you are looking for what is wrong, you will find that. 

Be the person who is looking for the positives.  You are not everyone's cup of tea, but that is ok.  Everyone is not your cup of tea.  I can tell you Dave is not my cup of tea but I don't think he is losing any sleep over it.  There were always be Daves in the world. 

Your real strength is in you.  Not in the Daves of the world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site