It's a Canadian Thing

I share a bed with an immigrant from Australia. Many times, he acts like he just got off the boat.  He will walk around saying, "no worries, mate." and things like that.  The truth is that boat landed 51 years earlier, but, he still feels a strong connection to his homeland.  I get that.  I feel a strong connection to the Ukraine, even though I haven't been there.  Yesterday was Australia Day.  I basically get that.  They also have a holiday called Anzac Day.  It has been explained to me, but I still don't get it.  That's ok, I'm not Australian.  And, despite him living in Canada for 90% of his life, he still doesn't get some Canadian things. 

This is a Canadian thing. 

There is absolutely no doubt that the Russians interfered in the US election.  It seems that has been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt and Muller has not even become close to releasing his report.  Yes, that is originally what his report was supposed to be about.  I feel compelled to remind people.  I think even Muller forgets.  After two years, he is still uncovering evidence.  I am sure he is as frustrated as anyone.  Every time he is close to finishing, more damning evidence is uncovered.  Through the Muller report, it has been strongly suggested that Trump himself has been working as a Russian spy.  That is completely ridiculous.  I don't believe that for a second.  Russians are smart, they would never hire such an idiot as Trump. 

Last week, I was watching an interview about Brexit.  I struggle to understand the finer points of both sides so I like to watch whatever I can.  The person being interviewed was asked if he felt that the Russians interfered in the Brexit referendum.  The expert replied that there was no doubt in his mind that the Russians had interfered. 

Why does Russia want to interfere in other super-powers internal affairs.  I don't believe they really care about the outcomes so much as they want to create internal chaos.  As American or Brits are devoting so much energy into their internal politics, Russia goes on unnoticed quietly getting richer and doing more subtle things to create strength for themselves. 

So, here is the Canadian thing.  On one hand, I am grateful that Canada is not on Russia's radar.  We are still free to make our own decisions based on our own information.  But, on the other hand, what the heck?  Aren't we powerful and influential enough to be messed with? 

The classic Canadian dilemma.  We want to fly under the radar but we still want credit for our influence on the world stage.  The best thing is that we don't have to worry about keeping our friends close and our enemies closer.  Other than a temporary dust-up with China, we don't have too many enemies to worry about. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site