The Last Straw and How to Recruit Members to Your Clubs


When my babies were babies, about a quarter of a century ago, diapers were very different.  They were very soft on the inside and plasticy on the outside.  It was like wearing a cloth diaper and plastic pants all in one.  This became the first environmental concern because it was pointed out that all dirty diapers were taking centuries to break down in our landfills.  New parents were encouraged to revolt.  I bought cloth diapers for my prince.  They weren't cheap, but I was willing to do what I could for the environment.  When he was first born, I couldn't use them.  He was a preemie and weighed 3 lbs.  The cloth diapers that I bought for him did not fit so I was going to use disposable until he gained weight.  When he got bigger, I tried again.  I found that they worked as long as he was changed immediately after he wet.  I mean immediately.  Not to mention stools.  It was a lot of work using cloth diapers and it was a big commitment.  As a new mom with a preemie, I was already struggling and doing two loads of laundry daily just for baby, so for me, cloth diapers were my last straw.  I caved.  Disposable diapers were so much easier.  However, public pressure did not cave.  Diaper companies were forced to change their products to be more environmentally friendly once they reach our landfills.

Fast forward to today.  I am a grandma.  When I first changed my perfect grandson's bottom, I couldn't believe my daughter had bought the cheap diapers.  I went on a quest for better diapers.  It turns out they were all cheap diapers.  By cheap, I mean more environmentally friendly.  So, the diaper industry did respond to consumer pressure.  That is a good sign.  Also, they are more than adequate and I give them the grandma's stamp of approval. 

Also today, we are concerned about straws.  They take centuries to break down in our landfills.  Companies are working on a paper based straw that is better for us.  In two decades, no one will be able to remember a plastic straw.  I am doing my part.  Whenever I am out, I specifically request no straw.  I am frustrated because most of the time, I get a straw.  I don't use it, but it is still out there and not able to be used again.  Deep sigh.  So, that led to me a resolution to not eat out.  It is harder than you think. 

Apparently, American is a little farther along in their "no straw" usage.  About two weeks ago, someone took a video on their phone which went viral.  It was a man getting a meal at a fast food establishment.  Once his order was complete, he noted that he didn't get a straw and asked for one.  The server said that they don't give out straws anymore.  Apparently, that the last straw of this man.  He went across the counter and starting physically attacking the young server.  Despite being twice her size, he didn't know what he was getting himself into.  She more than defended herself and the customer left with his proverbial tail between his legs. 

The young lady was interviewed a couple of days later.  She said that she was a new mother and her baby was 2 weeks old and that motivated her to fight for her life as no one was going to take her away from her baby. 

There were more things wrong with the story.  First of all, it is shameful that a young lady is back to work when her baby is only two weeks old.  Babies need parents at a critical time for attachment.  The USA and their maternity leave is shameful.  They need to be more forward thinking and start looking at what babies with poor attachments grow up and become. They would save millions in the long run by having more enhanced parental leaves. 

Secondly, this young lady took this guy on while she was watched by four other adult males who didn't move an inch to help her.  What has happened to America?  Has the politics of hate gone so grassroots that they no longer stand up for one another? 

So, what do straws have to do with recruitment? 

Well, last fall, I had lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory and was pleased that they are proactive on the straw issue and only provide straws on request.  As it turned out, that was the most pleasant part of my lunch. 

I went there for lunch to attend a meeting of a group that I had found on Meet Up.  The group was Winnipeg Writers, Editors, and Publishers.  I was really excited to find this group and was expecting to join and have a nice lunch.  I have to be honest.  I don't know anything more about the group now after meeting them.  They might be a great group.  It wasn't my experience. 

I arrived and there was one man there already.  I was pretty much on time, but a little early, so I expected that more were coming.  I extended my hand to the gentleman and introduced myself as Shelley.  He replied, "nice to meet you, Shirley."  I said Shelley.  He repeated Shirley.  He didn't give me his name.  This was 11:45 am.  I tried to initiate conversation.  He did not respond other than calling me Shirley.  At noon, it was 15 minutes after the lunch was to start, so I asked him if we should still wait or what.  He indicated he was on the executive so his lunch would be paid for by the group so he was going to eat anyway.  I was hungry so I ordered lunch as well.  At about 12:15, another man joined us and apologized for being late.  They two men knew each other.  I expected to be introduced but was not.  When they paused for a breathe, I extended my hand and introduced myself as Shelley.  Without missing a beat, he said, "pleased to meet you, Shirley."  I said Shelley.  He said Shirley.  I gave up. 

It reminded me of a scene on the movie Airplane.  The flight attendant asks the pilot, "Surely, you can't be serious?"  Leslie Nielson replies, "I am serious and don't call me Shirley." 

I ate my lunch while these two gentleman held their meeting while excluding me entirely.  I actually paid my bill and left and they didn't even notice. 

That is an example of how not to recruit new members to your organization. 

By the way, I really need an editor.  If you know anyone from Winnipeg Writers, Editors, and Publishers, I would love to give them another chance. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site