What the Cool Kids are Saying

My partner volunteers to speak about his journey living with depression to high school and middle school classes.  Every time he does this, he comes home completely pumped.  He feels so positive about the next generation and can't get over the amazing insightful questions that he receives.  The empathy and emotional intelligence displayed by these kids are inspiring.  He did it again today, but I wanted to see it for myself.

The following are unedited comments by Grade 9 students.  I am not going to comment or give any analysis.  They say it all better that me.

1.  I really appreciate you sharing your story about your past.
2.  You are brave
3. Was there ever a time when you wanted to give up and how did you push through that?
4.  I am glad you have a blog because social media is so important to get information
5. How many years did your depression last?
6. How did you find the love of your life?
7.  You are very special for being open with your depression and I wish more people would be talking about it.
8. What prompted you to get help>
9. What made you start your blog?
10. What are your personal goals for this year?
11.  I feel inspired to talk to an adult I trust today.
12. Congratulations on getting such a great girl-firend  (Ok, I have to comment on that one.  What tremendous insight!)
13. Who do you model your life after?
14.  I don't have a question but I'm so happy that you are happy.
15.  Who is your favorite soccer player?  Ronaldo vs Messi?
16. Do you find music helps in managing depression.
17.  I feel like you have given me options and opportunities.
18.  Which do you like better, soccer or basketball?
19. What should I say when someone tells me they have depression?
20.  How to you approach someone to tell them you have depression and what is the right time?
21,  How do you feel being back in school when you suffered bullying in school?
22.  I learned a few coping mechanisms from listening to you?
23. Did the basketball team help you?
24. Do you have hobbies and do they help you through tough times?
25. What is your relationship with your family now?
26.  How can I help someone who I suspect is dealing with depression?
27.  I think many of my classmates suffer from mental illness.  Is this normal?
28.  I feel hopeful from listening to you
29.  What was it like to fall in love and how did you know she was the one for you?
30. I wish you are and your partner a life of happiness.
31.  Your grandson is lucky to have you.

Wisdom.  Comes from age and experience.  But, also it comes from having an open mind and an open heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site