Everyone is Right

Yanni vs Laurel.  I have listened to it over and over again.  The reason that I have listened to it so many times is because I have really tried to hear Laurel.  I just can't get it.  All I hear is Yanni and can't even imagine how anyone can hear Laurel, but I keep listening trying to hear and yet.......Yanni, Yanni, Yanni......

Yesterday, I heard that everyone is right.  Both names are recorded simultaneously but on different frequencies.  This means I am right that I hear Yanni.  It means those who hear Laurel are also correct.  Both answers are correct. 

This is just a fun thing gone viral so millions of people have been listening and weighing in.  Almost everyone has tried it and it has made the news as a new popular cultural thing.  In my household, my sweetie and I have different things, but we haven't argued about it.  I've seen a lot of UTube footage where people are hearing different things but no one is arguing.  In fact, most people have been like me in that they have listened over and over trying to hear the other word. 

I wish more things could be like Yanni vs Laurel.  I wish we could listen very closely in order to get the other person's perspective.  More listening to understand.  Wouldn't the world be a better place if we listened more to the perspective that is different from ours.  More listening.  Less talking. 

And, after listening to understand, we would conclude that it is fine to disagree.  Maybe even healthy.

And, then, to find out that both answers are correct.  No one is wrong.  Both perspectives are equally correct.  How powerful is that.  It just depends on your perspective, but both answers are equally correct. 

A win/win. 

Maybe this is more than just a fun thing to do on the internet.  Maybe this is the common sense solution to solving problems with different perspectives.  Maybe this should be a role model of solving the bigger problems.  Agreeing to disagree and not taking it personally as an attack on moral character. 

Listen to it one more time.  Don't listen to hear a word.  Listen in order to get the life lesson that it is trying to teach. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site