Please Retire Don Cherry


How old am I?  Old enough that I used to look forward to Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights.  It was a great night because I got to stay up late.  How late?  I used to be able to stay up until after Peter Puck.  Apparently, when I was a pre-schooler, my favorite player was Stan Mikita.  I don't remember this but having read about Stan, I think that was likely as good of a favorite as any.  I still count the Black Hawks as one of my favorites because of Stan.

Peter Puck was a cartoon that taught kids about hockey.  I learned the basics of the game, including penalties, but most of all that it was a team game and it was supposed to be fun.  Peter Puck was the star of the first intermission.

Now, we have another cartoon character during the first intermission.  Don Cherry.  Yes, that is what he has become.  A cartoon character.  It appears he is drunk on his own publicity.

When he first started on Coach's Corner, he was straight-forward and had unique analysis from his point of view as a former coach.  He was outspoken and dramatic and seemed to love the game of hockey.  His dog, Blue, got frequent shout-outs as did his devoted wife, Rose.  He used to joke about both but respectfully.  He was a breath of fresh air and as expansion moved deeper and deeper into the US, he was staunchly encouraging Canada.

Well, believe it or not, that was 33 years ago.  Unfortunately, when something is a success on television, the thing that makes that success becomes exaggerated.

Don Cherry liked the hits.  Next thing you know, there is Rock Em Sock Em Hockey videos high-lights and glorifying the hits.  And, he still likes the hits.  He seems to be unaware that it is 2018 and pre-mediated violence is not admired anymore.  I guess we can't blame him for not being with the times.  He is 84 after all.  Way way past his Best Before date.

And his wardrobe.  It started out with flashy and questionable ties.  Now, we see where he is now.  He is no longer flamboyant, he is down-right embarrassing.

He used to be honest and out-spoken.  Now, he is rude, condescending, and down-right mean.  Face it.  He has become the crazy grandpa that is the object of secret family meetings.  "I don't think crazy grandpa is safe living alone anymore."

Who do we want as the face of Hockey Night in Canada?  A cartoon character that brings shame not only to hockey but to our great country or a cartoon character that high-lights team work and strategy.  It is not even close for me.  Bring back Peter Puck !!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site