Mental Health Week - Day 4


Our mental health is so important to our lives.

Two examples from two different people.

First, my humble experience.  I am overweight and have been for a few years.  My doctor felt that I was at risk for diabetes and so she kept testing my blood and to her surprise, my A1C was right where it should be.  Then, my mental illness took over my life.  My A1C was in double digits.  10.9.  People told me not to take it personally, but of course, I took blame and felt shame that I allowed myself to get diabetes.  I was put on medication, I changed my diet, and started to add exercise to my life.  Three months later, I was hoping I would see some dramatic lab results.  Diabetes was not going to defeat me.  My A1C did go down so that was good.  But, still double digits 10.1.  So, I was still in the danger zone.  And, I added two more diagnoses to my portefolio.  I now had high cholesterol and high blood pressure.  I was so discouraged.  It wasn't fair.  I was doing what I was supposed to do so why wasn't this reflected in my lab results.  I was actually getting worse instead of better.  I sure wasn't looking forward to my next three month results.

Then, I started a Dialectical behavior therapy group for 16 weeks.  Not only do I have to attend a session every week that is very draining, I have homework that I have to do basically every night.  It is really hard work.  And, I knew that I would embarking on two vacations during the three month period.  How can you not over-indulge on a cruise when there is temptation everywhere?  And, Vegas, baby......what can you say?  Not only do you eat to excess but you eat at all the wrong times and you don't restore yourself with restorative sleep, etc.  And, it just so happened we ate a lot at TGIF.  What can I say?  We are just really nice people so we bonded with the wait staff and kept getting free desserts and free appys.  We got one free dessert which contained 1620 calories with absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever.  Despite this, there was only one thing wrong with it, and that was I had to share with my sweetie.

So, when I got the call to come in and discuss my blood work, I was prepared for a stern lecture.  My A1C was 8.1, a very dramatic decrease.  My blood pressure was similar to that of a 20 something athlete.  Cholesterol no longer an issue.  Now, I was still doing all the right things (except on vacation), however, I went and read the initial outline on my group therapy.  It did say that improvement in physical health is a common positive outcome of participating in group therapy.  I really believe in the holistic way of viewing health.  Therefore, I really think improving your emotional health will improve your overall health.

The second example is a person that I have never met but I know tons about him.  Prince Harry.  Well, he grew up knowing he was "the spare" and didn't really have a place or a purpose.  Plus, the loud whispers that his father was not his father.  Then, the death of his mother.  He was lost for a long time and it showed in his documented acting out behavior.  Then, last year, he, his brother, and his sister-in-law got together to announce their support and participation in the Heads Together campaign.  It was a British campaign for mental wellness indicating that in order to achieve positive mental wellness we must all put our heads together.  Harry talked openly about his journey to mental wellness.  He talked about unresolved grief, living life under scrutiny, and not feeling he had a meaningful purpose in his life.  Then, he talked openly about being on medication, seeking therapy, and deciding to try and continue his mother's work in helping people.

Look at him now.  He looks happy and is getting married in a few days.  I read somewhere that the Queen has to approve most of the details of his wedding; including if he wears a ring, what he will wear, what is on the menu, the guest list, etc.  That probably is true, but I have a Queen is rubber-stamping anything put in front of her.  I believe she doesn't actually care about the minute details, I believe she just wants what every Grandma wants; she wants her grandson happy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site