Conservatives Declare War on Canada's Food Guide

In the upcoming federal election, the Conservatives have recruited an outstanding candidate to run in my Riding.  Unfortunately, he chances of being elected have been diminished significantly because of the actions of Andrew Scheer.  Actually, many actions, but something he said yesterday really pissed me off. 

Andrew Scheer declared war on Canada's Food Guide claiming its new revisions reflect Liberal ideology rather than science.  First of all, and I feel strongly about this, please don't trivialize war.  I have too much respect for our troops and our veterans who have served and continue to serve our Country.  You declare war on terrorism, you declare war on acts of aggression by foreign countries, you can even declare war on the crytstal meth crisis.  There is actually no need to declare war on a piece of paper that encourages people to eat more vegetables.  Using the word "war" in this context is offensive.  We have actual problems in this country and Canada's Food Guide is not one of them. 

First of all, there is a key word that needs to be high-lighted in Canada's Food Guide.  The word is Guide.  It is not actually a law, it is a suggestion for healthy eating.  I will be honest.  I had a two course breakfast this morning.  I had leftover cold pizza with an ice-cream chaser.  Yet, despite this flagrant violation of Canada's Food Guide, I have been able to continue on with my day without any fear of the gestapo hunting me down for not adhering to Canada's Food Guide. 

I have to tell you, I sometimes ask my GPS for directions.  Despite the "recommendation", I sometimes think I know better and chose an alternative route.  My father used to joke that when we went for vacation by car, we would have gotten there sooner by walking.  He said that my mother saw a sign in a gas station washroom that said, "Clean Washrooms All Across Canada" and my mom took it literally and spent all of our vacation time cleaning washrooms in gas stations.  I know an alcoholic that used to blame his disease on an advertising strategy by a ginger ale manufacturer.  He thought "Drink Canada Dry" was an order. 

The point is we have freedom on choice and we can also choose to make bad choices.  Exhibit one.  The divorce rate is at about 50%.  Most people know it is stupid to wait in a drive-thru line for twenty minutes and then pay too much for a lousy cup of coffee.  It is much cheaper, tastier, and more convenient to make coffee at home and put it in a travel mug.  The point is that most people know what healthy eating entails.  Some of us do it and some of us don't.  I have followed it to the letter during two periods in my life.  These two periods of time are also known as my pregnancies. 

And, I wonder what the ideology is that they disagree with.  I know the new food Guide makes a comment that it encourages people to have more home-cooked meals and less reliance on take-out and processed food.  Is this what the so-called "family values" party finds offensive? 

Sheesh.  Just some friendly advice.  I don't think taking a strong stand against a piece of paper is the vote-getter that you think it is.  My advice to the Conservatives is to address issues that are actually important to Canadians. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site