July 7

26 years ago today I was at Women's Hospital at Health Sciences Centre.  I wasn't living in Winnipeg at the time but I was flown there by air ambulance.  To be honest, I don't know for sure if I arrived in Winnipeg at 1:00 am or on July 6 at 11:00 pm. 

The head of OB-GYN had been with me since I arrived and he stayed with me until about 7:30 pm.  Apparently, he is a brilliant doctor and he is also still have of OB-GYN at Health Sciences Centre.  That makes it 30 years atleast.  He didn't have the best bed-side manner then and from what I hear, he still doesn't. 

I was still trying to be stabilized at 8:30 am.  I had 11 IV tubes in various parts of my body.  I remember because when I arrived, they tried to find another spot to insert another line, just in case it was needed.  They struggled to find a vein.  A young nurse and her mentor were trying to find an available vein.  They found a usable vein on my left foot.  The young nurse tried three times to insert the needle and was not successful.  She was shooed out of the room by the mentor.  The young nurse was not happy and irritated.  The older nurse inserted the needle on her first try.  She confided in me that the young nurse was a very good nurse but focused on outcomes rather than patient care and she was trying to help her with this.  She felt bad about shooing her out and the young nurse was likely embarrassed but she didn't think I needed extra pricks in my skin. 

I couldn't speak that day so people would talk to me.  I was in ICU so I was allowed one visitor at a time.  My husband, my mother, my sister, and my brother-in-law would alternate. 

It was a long day and at 8:32 pm, I gave birth to my first angel.  He was 3 lbs and 8 weeks premature.  His lungs collapsed when he was born so I didn't see him for several minutes after he was born. 

He was a miracle and he still is.  He is one of the bravest men I know.  He lives for adventure and he lives his life as he wants.  I am very proud of him. 

Happy birthday, Gerry. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site