Questions for Scott Johnston

PC MLA Scott Johnston knocked on my door two nights ago.  I guess I reside in his riding.  It is hard to know anymore unless you are a candidate.  The new riding boundaries don't seem to be common knowledge.  Regardless, I wasn't home and my partner talked to him.  He didn't ask the questions that I wanted to ask, so I will email it to him. 

First of all, I have never had the privilege of meeting Scott Johnston but I have been present at a few events that he has attended.  He seems like a nice bloke.  A genuine down-to-earth trying to eek out a living and enhance his retirement.  He is never going to make headlines and it appears he likes it that way.  Just wanting to fly under the radar.  In some ways, I respect that.  In other ways, I don't know if I want an MLA who doesn't want to be a household name.  How can he represent something that I may be passionate about if he flies under the radar. 

Regardless, he came by himself to knock on our door.  This could mean that he has a great work ethic, or it could also mean that he can't attract a team to help him get re-elected. 

His postcard literature that he dropped off was authorized by the Financial Officer of the PC Party of Manitoba.  So, that means the party is running the show, er, election.  The party is calling the shots leaving the candidates to just be agents of Pallister and showing little attention to local issues.  I was surprised to see a photo-shopped picture of Johnston and Pallister together.  Apparently, the party really thinks that Pallister is popular.  They don't recognize that Pallister only won last election because of the winds of change.  And, apparently Pallister is so busy that he couldn't even pose for a picture with Scott Johnston.  They had to be photo-shopped together.  That doesn't make me have much confidence for his value within the Party. 

On the back of the postcard, it wear the accomplishments of the government are touted.  They have been in government since 2016 and the biggest accom;oishment is the 1%  cut in the PST.  This happened 5 days ago.  So, for the last three years what were they doing?  Don't bother to explain, I know exactly what you were doing.  Regardless, I am sad to think that all that will be forgotten because of a 1% decrease in the PST.  That really is arrogant on the part of the Conservatives. 

But, my real question for Scott Johnston occurs a weekend last November.  The PC Caucus was having a weekend meeting inn Brandon.  Someone needed to stay back in Winnipeg to give greetings on behalf of the Government to the Manitoba Sports Hall of Face Induction Ceremony.  I am assuring Scott Johnston enthusiastically volunteered because of a personal connection to one of the inductees and his family.  At that point, I had a great deal of respect for him.  It was a wonderful magical evening and I am sure it was a 100 times more fun and interesting than the caucus meeting.  Good choice, I thought. 

Most of the inductees were household names but there were a few names that were difficult to pronounce.  There was a great deal of time between arrival and actual inductions.  Also, all inductees were introduced properly by the MC at the beginning of the evening.  Scott Johnson had more than ample opportunity to go mingle with the crowd and confirm the proper pronunciation of the names prior to his speech.  He didn't chose to do this.  Instead, when it was time for his speech, he chose to badly mispronunce some names.  I found that particularly disrespectful.  This was a big deal for the inductees.  Who could he not recognize this and ensured that the names were pronounced correctly.  I find this to be a big deal.  Details are very important. 

My question for Mr. Johnston is how can you convince me to take another look at your candidacy after that blunder? 

If you are going to be a back-bencher MLA, atleast be the type who is going to make people feel like a somebody. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site