Why Can't We Get Anything Right in Manitoba?

I love Investors Group Field.  I find the seats roomy and you can't get a bad seat.  No matter where you are, you feel close to the athletes.  It is a wonderful facility.  I know that from being there.  The washrooms are slightly confusing to get into but once you have done it once, it is all good.   Oh, pardon me.  It is now IG Field.

That is another thing I don't get.  Why do companies, particularly Canadian companies, want to reduce their names to initials?  TD used to Toronto Dominion.  CIBC used to be the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.  RBC was the Royal Bank of Canada.  BMO was Bank of Montreal.  I don't get the O.  Maybe it is only Canadian financial agencies.  Tim Horton's hasn't reduced their name to initials.  Of course, that is not a Canadian company.

Regardless, I am a little sensitive about Investors Group.  Last fall, they laid off a number of great employees in Winnipeg. A few them were friends of mine.  I am probably taking it more personally than they are, but I can't understand how they could lay off people, and then go through the farce of changing their logo and referring to themselves as IG.  The signage alone at IG Field must have cost them the equivalent of 2 people's salary.  I don't get it.

Regardless, I do love Investors Group Field.  Valour FC will continue to grow in the hearts of Winnipeggers and they will draw more fans and they deserve it.

However, it is hard not to forget all the controversy surrounding the stadium.  There is a lot and it is hard to summarize because so many things have happened.

The stadium was expected to be ready for the start of the 2012 Bomber season.  It wasn't.  For some reason, the people in charge kept getting our hopes up.  It will be ready in a month, and then another month.  They had no credibility.  In 2013, they let us know that the inflatable dome had been dropped from the plans a year earlier.

In 2014, the builder put a $1.9 million lien on the stadium because it claimed it was owed for cost overruns. The province later agreed to provide an additional $1.5 million to cover the initial costs and bringing the total cost to $210 million.

In 2015, the ownership group announced its intention to sue the architect and the builder citing water damage caused by insufficient drainage in the building as well as inadequate insulation and extensive cracking in the concrete. In all, the suit alleged 42 deficiencies.  The ownership company which really was a shell company representing the city, province, University, and the Bombers.  Statements of defense allege that the ownership group exerted pressure to rush the job and reduce the budget.  Later that year, the provincial government put in an additional $35 million saying it would be recouped in the lawsuit.  It is now 2019.

I don't think any of us are under any illusions that the people of Manitoba will ever see a profit let alone have any of the government money that was put into the stadium back into our coffers. 

What bothers me is that it seems anything that involves more than one level of government seems to result in something going wrong. 

Again, IG Field is beautiful.  I love it.  I think it is a great venue, but, I can't just enjoy it, because the history of problems is also always in my mind.  It hasn't attracted the major concerts that people thought it would.

Right now, we have two election campaigns happening.  Although you wouldn't know it.  The provincial election is in September and the federal election is in October.  I think everyone thinks it is too early to start campaigning or everyone is having trouble raising funds.  I see one candidate's billboards and bus benches but no lawn signs.  In fairness, I haven't looked in too many residential neighbourhoods. 

I really believe anyone pursuing public office has the best of intentions.  I believe they really want to serve the people that they represent.  What I don't understand is why that seems to go out the door when they have to work with a rival party.  I realize that City Councillors have no official party affiliation, but, we all know that those elected have done so with the electoral machine of some party.  Traditionally, Manitoba elects a different party federally and provincially.  However, if those elected truly want to serve those Manitobans who elected them, why can't they put their political affiliation aside and work together on joint projects. 

We are getting ready to celebrate Manitoba's 150 years in Confederation.  We have been led to believe that we are going to be celebrating every day throughout 2020 and we won't have time to do anything else. 

I really want to celebrate Manitoba.  That's why I hope that following the elections, everyone can work together for the betterment of all Manitobans.  That might mean cooperating with someone you don't respect.  However, if they are elected, it means that some Manitobans have deemed that individual to be respectful.  Let's really celebrate Manitoba. 

I will admit that I have somewhat embarrassed at times to be from Manitoba.  Any province that can only thing of "friendly" to put on licence plates must not have much going on.  Also, look at the time and repeated efforts that was put into a slogan for Manitoba.  Canada's Heart Beats has grown on me. I didn't like it initially.  I thought we should have a higher bar than that we have a pulse. 

Regardless, we have a pulse and we are friendly.  Let's prove it to ourselves.  Let our leaders show us the way.  Let them show leadership by showing us they can work together.  The ripple effects will be tremendous.  Give us something right to celebrate. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site