What's in Your Neighbourhood?

A couple of years ago, Capital One did an on-going advertising campaign with the tag line of "what's in your wallet?"  I didn't find it that effective, but it must have been a winner for Capital One because it was used in multiple commercials. 

Earlier this week, the Winnipeg Police Service announced a massive drug bust from a residential home in St. Boniface.  From one residence, they seized 2.8 kg of cocaine, 5.3 kg of methamphetamine.  The estimated street value was $890,000.  That seems like a lot to me but that is less than 20 lbs so it could have easily been stored in anyone's home.  Apparently, the drugs that were seized could form another drug referred to as purple heroin.  Another thing I had never heard of before.  Highly addictive and the body is pulled in many different directions.  Potentially lethal.  We are lucky to have a high trained Police force that work to keep us safe.  Also, earlier this week, our Chief of Police was expressing great frustration about drugs in our city, particularly, meth.  Taking a million dollars off the street should be cause for great celebration, but, I gather it is not making a dent in the supply. 

The first homicide in the city in 2019 happened at the home that I am looking at in the picture.  Atleast two serious police incidents happened at the same location until it burned down.  In the lot next door, a new home is being built.  I am not a realtor but I don't think it will be a desirable listing. 

In less than a month, ground is going to break for the Bruce Oake Recovery Centre.  It will be a 50 bed holistic treatment facility.  It is not going to solve the drug crisis in the city, but, it is something.  It is actually more than something, it is an excellent start.  During the last civic election, one candidate indicated that he felt there should be a treatment centre in every subdivision in the city. 

We really don't know what happens behind closed doors.  I am sure very few people suspect that they could be living next to a home that has almost a million dollars of drugs inside.  If I had the choice, I would like to live next door to a treatment facility.  Then, I would absolutely know what was going on behind closed doors.  It would be hope. 

So, what's in your neighbourhood?  I would choose hope every time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site