More Free Advice to Provincial Cons

The Provincial Conservatives are using social media to post a negative attack on NDP Leader Wab Kinew.  They attack his actions in the past, apparently he hasn't released his candidate disclosure form, and his character.  I would like to think we live in a world where negative campaign ads would reflect more poorly on the party who is responsible for the ads, but, I don't think we are there yet. 

Regardless, I hope it doesn't sway a single voter.  Also, it is so unnecessary in Manitoba.  We are a small have-not province.  I am not denigrating Manitoba, I love living here, however, when it comes to transfer payments and other things, that is just the reality.  We weren't big enough of a market to keep Jets 1.0.  I still remember when the Jets left and all the grassroots attempts to save it.  We just couldn't do it.  When Jets 2.0 came back, we are euphoric with excitement for a couple of years, then the honeymoon was over.  Thank goodness, the Jets became a contender so we have lots to cheer about so we will be keeping our franchise. 

My point about Manitoba being a small province that struggles to get the national spotlight is that regardless of who wins the election, all parties will have to work together to drive forward the objectives of Manitoba.  The best way for Manitoba to be represented is to have drive representation in the Legislature.  Change is always difficult.  Transitions are hard.  The only way to soften this is to have strong voices in government, from all parties.  Consultation and inclusion of all voices, including those with lived experiences, is necessary. 

So, regardless of who wins the election, Wab Kinew will be a factor in the Legislature.  How do the Conservatives expect to sit down with him to discuss cooperation when they have put out ad ad like that.  If I was Wab, I would tell them to shove it, but, I know he is much more principled than I am, so he swallow the bitter pill and work for Manitobans. 

I have met Wab Kinew on two occasions.  He gave a speech about the passing of his father at an annual Hospice and Palliative Care luncheon.  He was dynamic and thoughtful.  I didn't really speak to him.  I just shook his hand and thanked him for his thoughtful words.  Last fall, I met him again at a candidate's forum for the civic election.  He sat next to me and we chatted about the candidates.  He and I both made notes, like responsible voters.  At break, I went to get coffee and he asked if I would bring him one.  I said I would, but I also suggested he didn't really have this politician thing down as he should be getting up, introducing himself to the crowd, and shaking their hands.  He replied that he didn't want to take the spotlight off the civic candidates, and if people wanted to come to him, he would speak to them, but, he was there as a voter just like everyone else.

I will admit he hasn't gotten this politician thing down yet.  In fairness, when he became NDP leader, the party was in turmoil and was looking for a new face.  Wab was the only rising star and he was annointed pretty quickly.  Being the leader of the Opposition has been a huge learning curve for him.  He still has some learning to go but he will get there.  He might have been there already if he had some mentoring. 

The attack ad aims at some mistakes he made in the past.  As far as I'm concerned, asked and answered.  He has acknowleged a troubled past and has spoken of moving forward.   I am failing to be excited about his lack of disclosure of his candidate form.  First of all, I find him very open and transparent.  Secondly, I am not really interested in what he did in 1986, I am more interested in what he plans to do for the next four years.  Also, if I really was interested in his past, there is this new thing out.  It is called the internet.  You can find out just about anything. 

There will likely be some Conservatives out there who will claim that they are not responsible for the ad as we are currently in the election blackout.  Yeah.  Another reason this ad is so unnecessary.  The sheep who respond to fear mongering are already going to vote for you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site