Sausage Making

These perogies are locally made and really good.  I like that they sell 5 dozen/bag.  Makes it easier that way.  No messing around and ensures that my partner actually gets a few.  These perogies have nothing to do with this entry but I like them. 

Yesterday, in the Free Press, Coun. Sherri Rollins said she was less concerned as to how the bad habits were allowed to develop but wanted assurance from Kiernan steps would be put in place to have the building inspections division functioning properly.  "Winnipeggers are less interested in how the sausage is made than outcomes," she said. 

Ah, the old sausage making quote.  This quote has been around circa 1880.  For those of you who are math whizzes, this was about 139 years ago.  It has been used over and over again.  Quite frankly, I have a red flag over any politician who uses some variation of the sausage making quote.  I guess I have huge expectations of elected officials.  I think they should be capable of original thought. 

Secondly, Coun. Rollins is not speaking for this Winnipegger on this issue.  I very much care about how sausages are made.  I am speaking figuratively and literally.  I go all across town to get perogies that are locally made.  A little bit more expensive but I know what I'm getting and what ingredients are used.  The same with sausages.  I have seen tell-all documentaries on sausage making factories.  Basically grinding all parts of a pig in filthy conditions.  A health hazard.  Well, actually, it wasn't as much of a documentary as an SVU episode but I still believe that is not far from the truth.  I think society as a whole actually cares about the sausage making process as well.  That is why we have health inspectors and codes of conduct for food preparation. 

It is really short-sighted to not care what is the root cause of the bad habits in the building inspections division.  You will never be able to come up with solutions unless you do a root cause analysis.  It is only common sense.  You can't expect to have meaningful change by just making a new policy or for asking for assurances.  What Department Head would not provide assurances that he could have his department functioning properly?  Seriously.  An assurance from someone who was either complicit or incompetent.  Not worth the paper it is printed on. 

Finally, the issues identified by the anonymous group of citizens who hired a private investigator and prompted investigation of this department should not be trivialized by referring to them as "bad habits". 

I really care how this sausage was made, and based on what I've seen, I'm not buying it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site