Curling Season Round-Up

I didn't watch much of the World Men's Curling Championship.  I don't know why.  Actually, I do know why.  I have a hard time cheering for Kevin Koe.  He is definitely a talented curler and makes exciting shots but I just have a hard time getting wishing him well. 

It could have something to do with the four years that I watched Koe, Kennedy, Laing, and Hebert debate every shot and pointing out options that weren't even there.  It wasted time and did what the clocks were supposed to eliminate.  I didn't find it exciting when Koe would have to take his final time-out just to have enough time to throw his final shot.  I found this showmanship and not even that good. 

However, I watched enough.  The Swedish team is just so talented and any player can make any shot.  They seem to make it look effortless.  I was cheering for John Shuster and will continue to do so as long as he throws rocks.  He is an amazing man and a wonderful ambassador for the sport.  Scotland is one of my favorite teams right now.  I wish they would have won the Bronze but I wasn't unhappy when the Swiss won.  Both teams are talented and have great futures.  Team Japan was exciting to watch.  They were technically brilliant but just made a few wrong calls at the wrong times.  Ok, so I guess I watched a lot. 

Edin's team was simply the best all week and should have been awarded gold.  It seemed like it was anyone's game in the first half and then the Swedes just had more passion, more sportsmanship, more confidence in their team, and more drive. 

The turning point came in the 8th end.  Before Edin's last shot, his rock literally needed surgery.  Most of us had not seen anything like it.  Apparently, it took 8 minutes to repair.  During this time, I heard Ben Hebert mention "amateur hour" a few times.  After the lengthy delay, Edin regained his laser focus and made a difficult double take-out.  Any club curler would have been so rattled, but not the consummate professional.  Then Koe had a draw to the top of the four foot.  It wasn't a particularly difficult draw but he came up short for a steal of two for Sweden.  That was pretty much the game.  The TSN commentators felt that Koe was at a disadvantage because he had a softer shot so the delay affected him more profoundly.  These are the same commentators that have said the "horses" that Koe have are so excellent is that all you have to do is let the rock go and they will put it exactly where you want. 

Also, Kevin Koe, I think I would like you a little bit more if you didn't answer most of the questions put to you with "obviously".  When Cathy Gauthier asked you if the 8th end was the turning point, you don't sound particularly charming when you say, "obviously".  You sound condescending and arrogant.  That image stays with ordinary fans like me.  And, frankly, the press wouldn't have to spoon-feed you questions if you were more of an orator.  Interviewing you is not a plumb assignment because of your short answers and lack of insight.  Showing some humanity to the fans who support you might make more people cheer for you. 

I think it is important to address Hebert's "amateur hour" comment because he repeated it in the press conference after the game that the whole week was like that.  Well, of course, it was amateur hour and that is a good thing.  To put on such an event, you need about 400 volunteers.  Last year, my partner and I volunteered in Vegas at the Men's Worlds.  We had an amazing time, but we paid to volunteer.  We paid for our flight, our accommodations, and our meals.  We did not get a free trip like the athletes did.  Needless to say, it is probably easier to get people to volunteer in Vegas as opposed to Lethbridge.  I am sure the volunteers did the absolute best they could.  Unfortunately, curling is a marginalized sport and there aren't a lot of "professional" support personnel.  That is actually one of the appeals of the sport, that in the end, anyone can play and with a little practice, become skilled.  However, if you look across Canada, curling is declining in popularity and many curling clubs are in trouble.  There are only a handful of "professional" curlers and they owe this to the fans who come out and watch and cheer.  Frankly, the "elite" curlers need the fans and the volunteers more than we need them.  Your support from Curling Canada comes from the fees of the average curler.  You should thank the "amateurs" who are doing you a favor while giving up their time and talents to have you insult them.  Let's not forget that one of these "elite" curlers got drunk this season and damaged a local curling club.  Stop feeling entitled and get over yourself. 

And, speaking of that elite curler, he is now going to be playing with John Epping.  It is hard not to like John Epping.  He is just a classy guy who has so much to give to the sport of curling.  Unfortunately, he has yet to put a team together that can consistently win.  Atleast Ryan Fry is taking this seriously and is moving to Toronto to be part of the team.  I will give him that.  I am disappointed Mat Cam will be throwing second rocks.  I think he was a great vice to Epping and Fry won't have that same chemistry.  Perhaps Fry would learn more life lessons if he threw second rocks.  He is a more natural second in my mind, anyway.  Laing will now be throwing lead rocks.  I would have found it to be a more positive move to have him as the alternate.  But, I'm sure that will happen by net year anyway. 

Kennedy moving to Jacobs team is not a good mood for Kennedy, but, it is his life.  History seems to indicate that when one team member lives three provinces away from the rest of team, they don't have much success, but that is just history. 

In other news, Michelle Englot is coming out of retirement to skip a very young team including Sara England at third.  They will draw crowds, however, there may be too much of a generation gap for the team to be successful.  Darcy Robertson is also skipping a brand new young team.  They will have similar success to former Darcy Robertson teams.

Kate Cameron will be joining the Laura Walker team as third.  I like that.  Kate is an excellent shot maker and a great team player.  Walker's stock has already risen. 

Regardless of what happens, I will still be watching as I am a loyal fan.  My partner and I have already applied to be volunteers at the Scotties in Moose Jaw.  We will try not to make it amateur hour.  Also, I did miss many telecasts of the men's worlds and don't have much interest in the remaining events of this year.  Same teams, same shots, ho hum.  Curlers need to wake up and smell the coffee.  You need fans like me, and lots of them. 

Comments

  1. https://twitter.com/Sierradawg/status/1115080270732910592
    https://twitter.com/ottguy/status/1115085275535892486

    Ya, so "arrogant."

    He was being interviewed after an emotional finish. Let him be human.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site