Free Advice from Me to Liberal Candidates in Upcoming Federal Election

I voted Liberal in the last federal election.  It was my first time.  Actually, I didn't vote Liberal, I voted for who I thought was the best candidate.  In my case, it was an easy choice.  I voted for Doug Eyolfson.  He was an outstanding candidate.  When I voted for him, I was aware that even if the Liberals formed the government that he would be a back-bencher.  Jim Carr has been around for a long time and will always be perceived as the senior member from Manitoba.  Having a back-bencher as your MP simply means that your riding will have less access to the government as your MP will have less staff. 

This federal election will be different for Dr. Eyolfson.  There are two outstanding candidates running against him.  He will be in a tough race.  I still have about 200 days to decide who I am voting for.  It is a hard decision but I am asking lots of questions and reading a great deal.  A lot can change in 200 days. 

I'm sure he can see that the Liberal numbers are dropping in the polls, or at least Trudeau's numbers are dropping.  Some news organizations are saying that the Liberals are bleeding. 

Regardless, one thing disturbing is that my MP is not responding to questions about the current controversy.  In fact, he cancelled an event with him and the public.  The media told us that the Cabinet was called to Ottawa for all weekend meetings.  The event that Eyolfson cancelled was with a Cabinet Minister.  He still could have kept the meeting.

He has been very elusive since the Jody Wilson-Raybould/LavScam affair.  I find that disturbing.  I am not asking him to betray any secrets or take a stand against his leader.  If I was advising him, I would tell him to say:

a) I don't know much more about the issues than you do.  I am monitoring the situation like most Canadians.  I'm not privy to any secrets.  But, here is what I am doing for the taxpayers in my constituency............

b) Actually, I haven't got all the facts so I am going to refrain from comment, however, I am very interested in the opinions of the constituents.  Tell me how this is affecting you..........

c)  I feel for all parties in this matter.  I know from personal experience that all people go into elected office with the best of intentions.  I believe everyone is trying to do their best and this is distracting away from ................

d)  All I can do is do the best job for the people who trusted me with their votes.  Here is what I am doing .............

e)  I urge you to read as much about this as you can from a wide variety of sources.  It is a complicated story with many nuances.  Just try to be open-minded and get multiple sources of information and evaluate those sources.  That is what I am trying to do and I can tell you what is blatantly false ........

f)  In the end, my opinion is just one, and I am most concerned with the opinions of my electorate. 

Any one of those options would be fine.  Nothing is not fine.  This is important to us.  Being a sheep is not fine.   If you want to be elected or re-elected, you have to show that you are a discerning analytical thinker capable of addressing issues that are uncomfortable.  If you don't control your own narrative, we will have no choice but to control it for you. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site