Now That I Know......What Should I Do About It?

I confess that prior to last fall's civic election, I didn't pay attention to City Politics.  Helping with a friend's campaign opened my eyes.  There is a lot going on at City Hall.  Strong leadership is needed.  I had always thought the Mayor and Council were glorified cheerleaders.  Now, I realize that is what many of them would like to do, but, there is a great deal of work they can do.  Right now, many of us are focusing on the scandal in the Planning and Property Development department, but, I am sad to say that this may be just the tip of the ice-berg in the crisis of culture that is City Hall.  I remember being warned of this by the Candidate who finished second for Mayor.  She told me that morale at City Hall was at an all-time low due to a lack of leadership. She said this was leading to an "I don't care" attitude among our civic employees.  These were good people who have grown cynical about their jobs.

Just a week ago, there were some results from the internal review on the PPD department.  I thought the Mayor would have some reaction.  He didn't, or if he did, it wasn't reported.  Instead, Mayor Bowman held a news conference requesting the Social Planning Council of Winnipeg cancel an upcoming speaker who he thought was anti-semitic.  He may be right, but, he actually gave her and the event more publicity.  I am not agreeing with her but she does have free speech.  I think our Mayor needs to put more energy into City Hall. 

Quietly, a couple of weeks ago, Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Chief John Lane's employment contract was extended for another year.  His five-year contract expired and had a clause in the contract for automatic renewal for a year if neither party gives notice to change it.  His salary was about $171,000 five years ago and I am assuming it has grown a little bit over the last five years.  That would be fine if that was the only cost, he cost Winnipeg taxpayers.  In August, 2015, Lane delivered a presentation which resulted in 156 of the city's paramedics filling a workplace grievance alleging breaching a respectful workplace policy.  The matter was resolved by arbitration in March, 2018.  The City was ordered to pay $115,000 in damages to paramedics.  The arbitrator ruled that Lane had publicly disrespected the paramedics and refused to apologize in a timely matter. 

For those that have ever worked in a workplace, having such a large grievance filed and having it go to arbitration takes on a life of its own.  Taking almost three years to be resolved means that it cost the City much more than $115,000 in damages.  I can just speculate the amount of sick leave that was used during this time.  How can the paramedics not be affected in job performance by having your Chief publicly disrespect you?  At the end, Lane said in a news conference, "let's move forward".  I wish someone would have done an internal audit of the actual cost of this incident to the taxpayer.  And to publicly disrespect paramedics?  Really, the people who often are the difference between life and death need to be disrespected? 

I simply can not fathom how the City didn't atleast try to renegotiate his contract.  How can they possibly think that this was an employee that they wanted to keep.  The optics alone are troubling.  If you have ever worked in a workplace where you have felt disrespected, you know how powerless you feel and it affects all parts of your life.  You don't feel safe.  It affects your performance.  I am very uncomfortable knowing our paramedics are headed by someone who could publicly disrespect them.  I don't know if that hurt ever heals. 

Oh, also, the City pays for Lane's education and travel expenses.  He has taken 36 out-of-province trips in a three year period from 2014-2017.  Also, the City is paying $6.600 a year for Lane to pursue his Masters Degree.  We might get better value for our dollar by sending him back to Kindergarten where he would learn to be respectful of others. 

Here's the thing.  I don't think this guy is worth the salary, and other costs, that we, the tax-payers are on the hook for.  Now that I know........what should I do about it? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site