Mourning Notre Dame

The world is in mourning for the loss of the heartbeat of Paris, the Notre Dame Cathedral.  It can never be replaced.  They will rebuild but it will never be replaced.  I think we all watched in horror last evening and said a little prayer.  So many friends shared their memories of visiting the sacred place and what it meant to them.  It is true that the human experience is universal.  Hopefully, it will be a call to action to not take our blessings for granted and to appreciate all that we have.  That is all my higher power expects of me, to love everyone, even those hard to love, and to appreciate all the abundance in my life. 

The picture was taken my one of my junior high school friends and it happens to be her birthday today.  She visited Notre Dame 10 years ago at Easter.  I found her thoughts particularly poignant and I hope she doesn't mind me sharing but I just thought it was a fitting tribute. 

"I am absolutely heartbroken with news of the devastating fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.  Eerily, I was there at Easter time, 10 years ago.  I remember taking this picture of the Rose Window, lighting a candle for my family, being totally awestruck at the majesty and historical significance within.  Breathtaking is an understatement.  Notre Dame Cathedral is home to some of the most important relics in Christian theology including the "Crown of Thorns" believed to be worn by Jesus during his crucifixion and a piece of the crucifix itself.  King Henry V!, Napoleon, Joan of Arc...Let's pray that the masterpieces have been saved."

For me, Notre Dame Cathedral represented one of the best parts of humanity, that we all welcome and we can all respond to beauty and appreciate a masterpiece.  Let's hope we never lose that sentiment. 

#Sanctuary

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site