Talking About Politics

Yesterday, in a fluke, I got three different political propaganda messages in the mail from three different parties.  At one point, I have voted for all three of these parties.  Sometimes, I have voted for the candidate, sometimes I have voted for the party.  I guess I am a swing voter.  I weigh many factors in deciding who to cast my vote for.  In the upcoming federal election, I will be voting in the huge riding of Charleswood/Headingly/Assiniboine/Whatever.  There are three excellent candidates running.  I have already changed my mind several times.  It is a great position to be in when it is hard to choose.  Two federal elections ago was the only time I didn't vote because there was no one that I could vote for. 

Politics in Canada is very interesting right now.  Yesterday, Wilson-Raybould and Phillpot were kicked out of the Liberal caucus.  Two extremely talented women who Canada can use right now.  Not that they are going anywhere, but, it will be harder for them to continue to serve as Independents.  Whatever your view of the SNC Lavalin affair, this is sad.  I was very shocked to see one of my facebook friends post that they "must face the consequences of their actions" and the actions in questions were questioning the Prime Minister.  This friend is a very ardent Liberal, however, I was very surprised to see her unwavering support of Trudeau.  It didn't seem consistent with her words. 

For me, when people are able to deal with things on an issue for issue basis, they have more credibility.  When they blindly support whatever their candidate or party support, I don't think this helps Canadians advance conversations about politics. 

As Canadians, we need to do better.  We need to be able to say, I agree 90% of the time, but, on this issue, I disagree.  Canadians seem to be the only ones who can do this.  We are natural consensus builders.  We are a cultural mosaic as opposed to a melting pot.  We value diversity and that includes diversity in opinion.  We need to be role models for our neighbours south of the border.  Look what happens when people put their faith in a leader blindly and don't take it on an issue by issue basis. 

Whatever your thoughts and feelings are, Wilson-Raybould and Philpott are outstanding women and their voices are still needed and will be missed from the national conversation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site