Western Alienation Explained

I remember the first time I was old enough to understand the election process.  I believe I was under 10 and it was the day of a federal election.  Despite it being a school night, my parents allowed me to stay up late until the election was decided.  I was pretty excited for 8 pm to come because that is when the polls closed and election coverage could start on the news.  My dad had made popcorn in the frying pan.  We were looking forward to a long night.  As soon as we turned the tv on, we turned it right off and I had to go to bed.  Well, maybe I had a bit of popcorn.  You see, Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau had already won the election.  The election was over prior to it crossing the Ontario border.  It was very disillusioning for me.  Also, my parents and everyone else in Western Canada.  Our vote simply didn't matter.  Regardless of how we voted, it didn't matter.  We just didn't have the number of seats of make a difference.  That's it.  That is western alienation.  We didn't feel relevant.  And, since our seats didn't really matter, we felt ignored.  Yes, political parties all gave us lip service that they cared about our issues, but, it didn't feel genuine.

Things may have changed due to the rapidly growing Metropolis of Vancouver, but, have they really changed?  Do you think any of the current leaders really care about canola farmers or have a plan for them?

The same phenomenon occurred in Manitoba.  Elections were decided within the perimeter highway.  That has changed since I was a child, but, elections are still decided by the 50th parallel.  Yes, rural MLAs often get positions in cabinet but generally speaking if your don't live in the south, your vote is not that important. 

Western Alienation is the feeling that people in the Western Provinces, particularly the Prairie Provinces, have no political power.  Hence, the Reform Party.  Hence, Preston Manning and others.  Yet, their solution to Western Alienation was to reform or abolish the Senate.  Frankly, I don't understand how either of them are solutions.  The Senate is a waste of money but it is part of our history and it is not going anywhere, we just have to accept this. 

What we need is real conversations on how to make every Canadian feel their vote matters, regardless of where they live or any other criteria mentioned in our Charter.  This won't be solved overnight, but I am looking for a leader who really wants to listen.  I'm looking for candidates that will represent our interests first and won't be sheep.  I am looking for the best candidate to represent my interests. 

Interestingly, Dr. Phillpott is not going quietly into the political wilderness.  She is discussing the legality of her and Jody Wilson-Raybould being expelled from the Liberal caucus.  I think that will be interesting because she is challenging the Prime Minister acting unilaterally and not having a vote of the caucus.  It may or may not have made any difference, but atleast a free vote in caucus would be illuminating for those ridings represented by a back-bencher MP.  We might have a better understanding of how we were voting for.  Political parties need to understand that Western Alienation still exists.  We don't usually vote for the Leader because our votes are largely meaningless.  We vote for the candidate that we think can best represent our interests. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site