Twitter Reacts

The twitterverse was not my friend yesterday.  People took great offence to a blog entry yesterday.  That is the wonderful thing about living in a free country.  We have the right to disagree.  Actually, I was pleased that there was so much defending of people's favorite curlers.  I do love the sport of curling, and anyone who knows me, knows that.  It is nice to see so much passion for curling and curlers.  I said my piece and I am not going to defend my entry.  It is history.  But, I have a few additional points. 

1.  Last year at the World Men's Championship in Las Vegas, my partner and I sat next to the father of one of the curlers competing.  The reason was that we were sitting at the top of the stands and he was too intoxicated to make it down to his seat.  We were fortunate enough to sit with him for 5 ends.  With very little prompting, he dished on just about every curler in Canada and in very colourful language.  It was pretty juicy gossip.  However, the man had a few drinks so I have never repeated his gossip.  I just didn't think that would be right.  However, based on his trashing of so many curlers, I am led to believe that the curling fraternity is not as happy as one would think.  

2.  I don't talk crap about all curlers.  I have offered a great deal of praise.  There are so many curlers that are my heroes that I gush about like a teenager.  

3.  One of Dorothy Parker's quotes is "that the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about."  Curlers got about 3000 people viewing my tweet yesterday.  That is a lot of free advertising.  I tagged the person I mentioned so I wouldn't be cowardly and talk behind his back.  

4.  One person replied that curling is not perfect but I am the wrong person to take on that battle.  Fair, but someone should.  This got people talking and thinking.  

5.  The reason curlers are mic'd is for fan interest.  Curling was not doing well on tv so the microphones were placed so that fans could feel more part of the game and to help grow the game.  

6.  If you legitimately think my blog is trash, you don't advance the point by calling me names or attacking me.  If something is worthless drivel, I usually leave it alone and let it speak for itself.  

7.  The game needs to grow.  Outside of Canada, and in some parts of Canada, it is a marginalized sport.  Some think it is controversial that some of our players are coaching foreign teams, using Canadian resources to make the rest of the world stronger.  The coaches would respond that they are just growing the game and that is good for everyone.  

8.  I unleashed a lot of passion for curling yesterday.  That makes me happy.  A blogger defines their success by amount of views and keeping the conversation going.  I am glad there is so much passion out there.  

9.  A couple of people agreed with me.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One of my saddest days in Winnipeg

There's Something from Jenny - Part 2

Seriously? Opposition to BORC opening at old Vimy Arena Site